Huxley's prediction?

  • Mike Tintner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2006
      Anyone know more about Huxley's prediction?

      "in Snow's day, science was nearly synonymous with
      physics, the early 21st century has seen a resurgence
      of biology; rocket science has been eclipsed by
      genomic science. But the more things change, the more
      they remain the same: "The more that the results of
      science are frankly accepted, the more that poetry and
      eloquence come to be received and studied as what in
      truth they really are — the criticism of life by
      gifted men, alive and active with extraordinary
      power." Thus spoke Matthew Arnold, in an earlier
      (1882) Rede Lecture titled "Literature and Science,"
      itself a response to "Darwin's bulldog," T.H. Huxley,
      who had conspicuously — and wrongly — prophesied that
      science would some day supplant literature."

      from

      C.P. Snow: Bridging the Two-Cultures Divide

      By DAVID P. BARASH

      http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=7v2slzqg6rmwkwpj600hdznds106vmx3

    • Tom Dolack
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2006

        Off the top of my head, I assume he’s referring to Huxley’s 1880 essay “Science and Culture,” although based on that work “supplant” may be a bit strong. I’m many other examples can be found.

        The Huxley essay can be found here:

        http://aleph0.clarku.edu/huxley/CE3/S-C.html

        td