3rd Culture & Darwin

  • Mike Tintner
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      http://www.cccb.org/kosmopolis/web05/eng/index.htm

      Marc Hauser, Lee Smolin and Robert Trivers. The New Humanists: Science at the Edge
      Moderator: John Brockman
      Presenter: Eduard Punset
      Saturday 3, 7.00 p.m. > Proteus Hall. English, with simultaneous translation
      Something radically new is in the air: new ways of understanding physical systems, new focuses that lead to our questioning of many of our foundations. A realistic biology of the mind, advances in physics, information technology, genetics, neurobiology, engineering, the chemistry of materials: all are questions of capital importance with respect to what it means to be human.
      Charles Darwin's ideas on evolution through natural selection are the basis for these arguments. This talk gives the opportunity to a physicist, a cognitive neuroscientist, and an evolutionary biologist to explain how the common thread of Darwinian evolution has led them to new advances in their respective fields.

      Win a Yahoo! Vespa NEW - Yahoo! Cars has 3 Vespa LX125s to be won Enter Now!