      From: biopoet@yahoogroups.com [mailto:biopoet@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Benzon
      Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 12:52 PM
      To: PSYARTS the Arts; Cognitive Literature Assn; Biopoetics
      Subject: [biopoet] Ring Form and the Importance of Description in Literary Studies

      In a way this is a follow-up to me short post on the still-born "revolution" in literary studies that's been spinning around for the last two decades or so. In that post I called for description, which is foundational to literary studies in the way that description was (and still is) foundational to biology. Where would Darwin have been without thousands  of descriptions of life forms that had been created in the previous few centuries?

      But you can't give prescriptions on how to do descriptions. You need examples. That's what the links here are about. In this post I demonstrate that four very different texts _ "Kubla Khan", Tezuka's Metropolis, Heart of Darkness, and Apocalypse Now – all share center point construction and all have an emblem that can stand for the whole:

      http://new-savanna.blogspot.com/2013/12/center-point-construction-coleridge.html

      In the next post I use the examples in the previous post to argue that it is possible to create a body of descriptive knowledge about literary forms that is  rigorous, rich, and objective.

      Center Point Construction: Description and Objectivity

      Finally, here's a link to a working paper where I do some of the spade work on Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now:

      Myth: From Lévi-Strauss and Douglas to Conrad and Coppola

      With regards,

      Bill B

      * * * * *

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic