790Are the humanities paying worse and worse?

  • Mike Tintner
    Aug 21, 2012
      Here's an exchange I had on an AI forum on how tough things are in US
      academe - and esp. in the humanities. [Start at the end and work back!] I
      wonder whether anyone would like to comment.

      >Ben G:Yes, because there are few students who want to study those
      (humanities) disciplines anymore, as more and more students view
      university as practical career preparation rather than mind-broadening
      liberal education.... Some universities are even shutting down or
      consolidating those departments...

      On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Mike Tintner <tintner@...>
      wrote:
      > Ah ha.. well philosophy has always been poorly paid - here too. So perhaps
      > it's more the humanities and allied disciplines that are paying terribly?
      >
      > -----Original Message----- From: Ben Goertzel
      > Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:29 PM
      > To: AGI
      > Subject: Re: [agi] Hwo tough in US academe?
      >

      > US science and engineering academia is doing pretty well, I think.
      > US academic disciplines like anthropology and philosophy are doing
      > poorly, as this article points out. Whether this is problematic or
      > not, depends on your perspective...
      >
      > -- Ben G
      >
      > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Mike Tintner <tintner@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> This article published in Al Jazeera - where else? -makes it sound v.
      >> tough:
      >>
      >> The closing of American academia
      >> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/08/2012820102749246453.html
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic