Mark Lynas Article

  • almuthbernstinguk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2006
      Excellent article on biofuels by Mark Lynas on the New Statesman
      website (subscriptions only - I've seen a copy, though). It will be
      in print next week. He mentions our website, too.

      I hope everybody looking at this yahoo group will be able to read it!

      I would say that Mark Lynas gives a well-researched, excellent and
      frightening summary of the unregulated, profit-driven biofuels
      expansion we are now seeing. My only query is whether George
      Monbiot is right in saying (as quoted in this article) that the EU
      cannot stop imports of palm oil grown at the expense of rainforest
      because that would breach WTO treaties. The information we have
      seen so far suggests that such import bans might well be legal under
      WTO regulations, provided they are done according to transparent and
      research-based environmental criteria. I am also concerned whether
      the EU's stance has less to do with existint WTO regulations and
      more with industry lobbying for even more 'liberalised' future WTO
      regulations which would do away with those environmental safeguards
      that still exist (some frightening proposals to ban environmental
      lableling, for example were on the table at the recent WTO talks,
      which collapsed).

      This is quite an important point. Has any reader got some more
      detailed relevant knowledge of WTO law? None of us organising the
      website have any background in international trade regulations/law -
      so any contacts, suggestions, etc would be really helpful! Thanks.

      Almuth Ernsting