Re: [biochar] Charcoal for latrine.

  • peter ongele
    Message 1 of 14 , May 23, 2012
      Thank you all for your contributions, will try to incooperative the ideas to save the situation. Peter.------------------------------ On Mon, May 21, 2012 13:49 PDT Steven Edholm wrote: >You might check out ecosan and some of their systems. They have detailed information on sanitation alternatives in the context of viewing the excrement as a resource. If your situation permits, separating the Urine as much as possible will make the latrines significantly easier to handle and less smelly. Urine contains the great majority of useful plant nutrients that leave the body including nitrogen. The excessive moisture in the Urine will make Aerobic conditions very difficult to obtain unless there is access to a large amount of fine organic matter like sawdust etc... With the Urine out of the picture, it will be much easier to achieve a proper moisture level using a lesser amount of biomass, or using wood ashes. I can't imagine charcoal wouldn't be beneficial in
      that it absorbs odor and moisture. A very promising Ecosan system uses wood ashes to coat and dehydrate the feces, while the urine is separated off and used as fertilizer. Maybe the situation will not permit of this level of detail or infrastructure, but it might be worth reviewing their publications or contacting them for ideas. > >Some paths to follow: > >http://www.google.com/search?q=ecosan+emergency+latrines&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a > >On May 21, 2012, at 11:41 AM, peter ongele wrote: > >> >> We have had flood displaced families camp, pit latrins smell badly, can charcoal dust kill the smell, any idea? >> >
    • peter ongele
      Message 2 of 14 , May 23, 2012
[...]
      • Geralyn D
        Message 3 of 14 , May 25, 2012
          ~~~ can charcoal dust kill the smell, any idea?~~~

          Peter, I think you should also look into EM (effective microorganisms) A spray of EM would reduce odors and make things healthier to be around very quickly. It will be something to add to your life tools for many occupations related to the earth systems we deal with daily and even in occurances such as a flood. I would want to spray my yard and living quarters with it, to get surface bacteria into beneficial activity again. I am not sure if it is too late to make some in your case but it can be purchased as well...
          Geralyn D.
        • nikolaus foidl
          Message 4 of 14 , May 25, 2012
            Dear Peter!

            Bacillus subtilis can be bought as a powder and eliminates smells and odors in short time, i used it in a scrimp washing pond and they did a very good job. Add a bit of glucose and they thrive like hell.
             best regards Nikolaus

            On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Geralyn D <palmtreepathos@...> wrote:

            ~~~ can charcoal dust kill the smell, any idea?~~~

            Peter, I think you should also look into EM (effective microorganisms) A spray of EM would reduce odors and make things healthier to be around very quickly. It will be something to add to your life tools for many occupations related to the earth systems we deal with daily and even in occurances such as a flood. I would want to spray my yard and living quarters with it, to get surface bacteria into beneficial activity again. I am not sure if it is too late to make some in your case but it can be purchased as well...
            Geralyn D.

          • ARTURO VELEZ

              Message 6 of 14 , May 25, 2012
                Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately we are at red financially, and no external support. ------------------------------ On Fri, May 25, 2012 12:02 PDT nikolaus foidl wrote: >Dear Peter! > >Bacillus subtilis can be bought as a powder and eliminates smells and odors >in short time, i used it in a scrimp washing pond and they did a very good >job. Add a bit of glucose and they thrive like hell. > best regards Nikolaus > >On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Geralyn D <palmtreepathos@...> wrote: > >> ** >> >> >> >> ~~~ can charcoal dust kill the smell, any idea?~~~ >> >> Peter, I think you should also look into EM (effective microorganisms) A >> spray of EM would reduce odors and make things healthier to be around very >> quickly. It will be something to add to your life tools for many >> occupations related to the earth systems we deal with daily and even in >> occurances such as a flood. I would want to spray my yard and living >> quarters with it,
                Message 7 of 14 , May 25, 2012
                  We've filled pits with charcoal+biomass+soil 4 future use on farms.We stil strungle to food,cloths, utensils from frnds.------------------------------ On Fri, May 25, 2012 12:02 PDT nikolaus foidl wrote: >Dear Peter! > >Bacillus subtilis can be bought as a powder and eliminates smells and odors >in short time, i used it in a scrimp washing pond and they did a very good >job. Add a bit of glucose and they thrive like hell. > best regards Nikolaus > >On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Geralyn D <palmtreepathos@...> wrote: > >> ** >> >> >> >> ~~~ can charcoal dust kill the smell, any idea?~~~ >> >> Peter, I think you should also look into EM (effective microorganisms) A >> spray of EM would reduce odors and make things healthier to be around very >> quickly. It will be something to add to your life tools for many >> occupations related to the earth systems we deal with daily and even in >> occurances such as a flood. I would want to spray my yard and
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 25, 2012