Re: Biochar in Oz

  • Erich Knight
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
      Dear Policy & Soils,
      Here is a recent review of Pyro-Acids in Agriculture, several new researchers to me, covering a host of applications and toxicity concerns. Section 3.2.5; Wood Vinegar as Feed-Stuff, adds a few more species and health benefits. Starting 80,000 years ago.

      History and Use of Wood Pyrolysis Liquids as Biocide & Plant Protection Product.

      http://www.benthamscience.com/open/toasj/articles/V004/SI0085TOASJ/111TOASJ.pdf

      A broad history of the New England Wood-Acid Industry prior to the oil age  .

      The Wood Chemical Industry in the Northeast: An Old Industry with New Possibilities
      http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/the-wood-chemical-industry-in-the-northeast

      Cheers,
      Erich

      On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Erich Knight <erichjknight@...> wrote:
      Dear Policy & soils,
      Robert Flanagan, Of Flana-Stove fame, has been kind enough to send a couple of OZ farm journal articles. This last one interviewing Barry Bachelor, Ray O'Grady & Barry Hayes are most illuminating. I have shared them with the top folks I know doing feed ration & composting synergy work.; Hans-Peter Schmidt in viticulture, Steiner, and several others.

      We need to extrapolate the benefits to the climate, if the present systems were replaced with biochar feed rations, adding the potential reductions for the carbon Hoof prints of rearing poultry & ruminant livestock & aquaculture at  full scale, with best conservation ag practices. Combining this with an extrapolation of integrated biomass & nutrient management  & fertility with Composting  manures to conserve 74% of NH3.  To paint a picture of the potential for this rosy scenario of land use and the size of the CO2 wedge such world wide practices would cover.

      I speculate based on the rough numbers I've seen on Agriculture's present contribution to CO2e, That 30% could easily be cut in half. So added to the conservative  12% (waste only) study on biochar's contribution, could reach a 25% wedge of CO2e. That added to the  FAO Conservation Agricultural 33%, give a conservative 57% wedge.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2012

        Hi Policy & Soils et al,

        Here is the proper translation Hans-Peter just sent.

        Peter also consulted with Randall Graham of  Bonny Doon Vineyard, who got some 100 tons of biochar for his new vineyard.

        Chjeers,

        Erich

        Dear Erich,

        Please find finally the correct English translation of the Ithaka article on biochar in poultry farms:

        http://www.ithaka-journal.net/pflanzenkohle-in-der-geflugelhaltung?lang=en

        Cheers, Peter

        Delinat-Institut für Ökologie und Klimafarming

        Hans-Peter Schmidt

        Ancienne Eglise 9

        CH 1974 Arbaz

        Switzerland

        Tel.: 0041-27-398.51.14

        schmidt@...

        www.delinat-institut.org

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2012
          Dear List & many Bccs,

          Hans-Peter is a fount of practical information, here he leads us down the lactic acid fermentation pathway, sour-dough char so to speak and explains the utility of chars used as a supplement in
          feed silage.

          Trading the smell of lost ammonia for atomized sauerkraut juice.

          Treating liquid manure with biochar

          "One of our oldest preconceptions is that a cowshed inevitably stinks. But the pungent odour of liquid manure is first and foremost the sign of a microbial decomposition process that has gone out of control. That which stinks to high heaven is not only an offence to delicate citizens’ noses but above all a source of disease for the animals living there. Thanks to biochar and to the control of the microbial environment in the shed and in the manure pit, materials cycles can be closed. Liquid manure in this way becomes a highly efficient, sustainable and odourless fertilizer."

          " Overall, the fertilizer efficiency of liquid manure may nearly double with biochar
          ."
          http://www.ithaka-journal.net/gullebehandlung-durch-pflanzenkohle?lang=en

          ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

          Another Carbon Feed supplier;

          Karbon Futter

          http://swiss-biochar.com/karbonfutter.php
          Google Translation:
          http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fswiss-biochar.com%2Fkarbonfutter.php

          Fermenting Ideas,
          Your Charoracle,
          Erich

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19

          Oz Farm Journal Articles;
          Cheers,

          Erich

          Erich J. Knight
          Shenandoah Gardens
          1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
            540-289-9750

          Policy & Community Chairman
          2013 North American Biochar Symposium
          Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
          October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
          http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

[...]

          Like appraising a concrete building for the carbon in the walls, ........the tenets, infurstructure and decor,...... valueless.
[...]

          From what I've read of previous Feed Ration work from Japan the improved metrics run the gamut; 80+% reduced odor, less mortality, increased feed conversion rates, general health and product quality.