RE: [biochar] Fw: Interesting link re.global warming.

  • Teel, Wayne Stephen - teelws
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
      Back 40,

      Your comments are right and wrong at the same time. The carbon situation on mollisols, the deep prairie soils of Iowa and the like, are indeed more impacted by management and the organic carbon (humus) content is the key there for carbon storage and for nitrogen. Biochar may enhance this, but the full proof is not in, though research at Iowa State and USDA may soon close in on better answers.

      In older soils in wetter climates, the ultisols of Georgia or the Oxisols of the Amazon, soil organic carbon is simply oxidized to fast even in areas with little or no management, so biochar does have greater impact. We have more certainty about biochar's positive effects in the tropics and on poor quality soils in general (with the possible exception of acidic spodosols) than we do in rich temperate soils. As with most things in ecological/environmental science, generalizations seldom work and we have to do the research with all the variables.

      Wayne