Surface spreading of biochar

  • fareastbiochar
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2010
      I recall discussion / concern over surface application of biochar...
      - loss due to erosion
      - application in forests & potential loss in fire scenario.

      There has also been discussion on biochar mobility related to worms & terra preta.

      Darwin may have some answers...
      http://www.stuff.co.nz/blogs/opinion/3417091/How-Darwin-opened-a-can-of-worms-in-New-Zealands-soil

      Maybe some research has been done on biochar mobility?
      This may be important for forest applied biochar for carbon storage?
    • Richard Haard
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2010
        Conference report: Paper presented at society for ecological restoration last month indicated no benefit from biochar applied to surface. No indication of movement into soil after 1 growing season in a natural prairie....

        My own observations: frost heave tended to bring larger pieces to surface.

        When rototilled into the soil and incompletely mixed, signs of the mottled patches of dark earth remain exactly same alignment after 20 weeks.

        In forest surface deposition of litter will bury biochar rapidly. Especially our conifer/mixed location.  I have spent time looking at horizontal deposits of naturally deposited charcoal and remains of old burns that are essentially immobile but involved in organic horizon of the soil.

        Have you onserved same in your location?

        Rich