Re: barrel within barrel stove for bichar production?

  • SolarBob
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
      Another project for my to do list.
      I don't see why it would gas/heat any faster than if I just burned it.

      --- In biochar-production@yahoogroups.com, CaptonZap@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 1/24/2011 7:44:21 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      > bobkatfarm@... writes:
      >
      > Does the concept make sense? Will it work?
      > Thanks.
      >

      > ================Reply==================
      >
      > Sounds good on paper, but there is a problem with implementation. Once the
      > inside retort starts making gas, it starts making a LOT of gas. If you have
      > good control over the input fire, you might be able to regulate the output
      > gas flow well enough to get both end of the system in balance. If you have
      > a pressure barrel retort, you could regulate the output to the burner to
      > maintain a certain sized fire under the retort, letting the pressure inside
      > the retort to rise, and eventually get it adjusted to sort of maintain a
      > fixed output.
      > Sort of because there are a lot of variables involved in;
      > how the wood is packed inside the retort, what size the pieces are, what
      > kind of wood, how moist, etc. ad nauseam.
      > On the other hand, you could make two furnaces. One to make the gas, and
      > another to burn the excess that was not needed to keep the retort furnace
      > going. That one would be for space heating.
      > A tee could be used in the output line, with valves to regulate the gas
      > flow to the two burners.
      > If you build one, let us know the results. CZ

    • Nando
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2011
        The syngas tends to be released rather suddenly if wood is enclosed in a container and heated from outside. Once the syngas starts burning around it in an enclosed space, it will heat the container to a higher temperature, which will drive more gas out of the wood, and create an even larger fireball. When you get such a feedback loop with a large container of wood, it can produce a lot of heat in a short amount of time, whereas combustion will occur at a much more steady pace.

        Nando

        --
        Nando M. Breiter
        The CarbonZero Project

        +41 91 606 6372

        nando@...
        www.carbonzero.ch
      • CaptonZap@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2011

          In a message dated 2/1/2011 6:56:26 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, bobkatfarm@... writes:
          Another project for my to do list.
          I don't see why it would gas/heat any faster than if I just burned it.

          ==================Reply=========================

          Like I said, if you try it, let us know how it turns out.  CZ

        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2011
            OFF LIST

            Dear Nando

            So.... what are you synthesizing with your "syngas?"

            Since you are using wood, why not term the product "woodgas?"

            "Syngas" implies consistency and uniformity of gas quality... are you inferring that the gas being produced in this manner is consistent and uniform in quality.

            Using "syngas" as you do breeds confusion and misdirection.

            How would you define "Syngas", "woodgas", and "producer gas?"

            Would you agree that we would all be better off if we had terms defined, so that we are all "singing from the same songsheet?"

            Best wishes,

            Kevin

            The syngas tends to be released rather suddenly if wood is enclosed in a container and heated from outside. Once the syngas starts burning around it in an enclosed space, it will heat the container to a higher temperature, which will drive more gas out of the wood, and create an even larger fireball. When you get such a feedback loop with a large container of wood, it can produce a lot of heat in a short amount of time, whereas combustion will occur at a much more steady pace.

            Nando

            On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:56 AM, SolarBob <bobkatfarm@...> wrote:

            Another project for my to do list.
            I don't see why it would gas/heat any faster than if I just burned it.

            --- In biochar-production@yahoogroups.com, CaptonZap@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 1/24/2011 7:44:21 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
            > bobkatfarm@... writes:
            >
            > Does the concept make sense? Will it work?
            > Thanks.
            >

            > ================Reply==================
            >
            > Sounds good on paper, but there is a problem with implementation. Once the
            > inside retort starts making gas, it starts making a LOT of gas. If you have
            > good control over the input fire, you might be able to regulate the output
            > gas flow well enough to get both end of the system in balance. If you have
            > a pressure barrel retort, you could regulate the output to the burner to
            > maintain a certain sized fire under the retort, letting the pressure inside
            > the retort to rise, and eventually get it adjusted to sort of maintain a
            > fixed output.
            > Sort of because there are a lot of variables involved in;
            > how the wood is packed inside the retort, what size the pieces are, what
            > kind of wood, how moist, etc. ad nauseam.
            > On the other hand, you could make two furnaces. One to make the gas, and
            > another to burn the excess that was not needed to keep the retort furnace
            > going. That one would be for space heating.
            > A tee could be used in the output line, with valves to regulate the gas
            > flow to the two burners.
            > If you build one, let us know the results. CZ

            --
            Nando M. Breiter
            The CarbonZero Project
            CP 234