Re: Delia [and other films]!

  • leb905
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2006
      Thanks for the research, Mike. I've tried emailing MEFA, too, but
      haven't ever gotten a response for some reason. So, it does look
      like 1976? Can you think of any reason someone would have entered
      this in the IMDB as 1992? I don't want to hijack someone else's
      movie by changing the date on this, but how many films are there
      with this title? If it's Pete's movie, I'd like for the entry to be
      accurate.

      http://www.meherbabafilm.com/ [this is what Oceanic has become].

      > I wrote: "Do you have an approximate release date for Delia on
      DVD?"

      > I got this reply:
      >
      > "Not at this moment Im afraid Mike. We have a phenomenal backlog
      of conservation work to get through before we can get to DELIA and
      it is taking much longer than expected because we are very short
      staffed since Easter.
      > Can you tell me what country you are in and whether you are Who or
      Baba fan so to speak?

      Wilkerson [ http://www.townshendbio.com/Chap%207.htm#_ftnref8 ]

      > -----
      >
      > "Meher Baba Oceanic was opened on July 3, 1976 with ten days of
      music, drama, films, and food," Delia DeLeon recalled in 1991. Adi
      Irani, Baba's secretary and a disciple, attended the opening, and
      Mehera, Baba's leading female disciple, gave her blessing to the
      proceedings. "She sent a beautiful pink silk coat once worn by
      Meher Baba which became the centerpiece of a small collection of
      precious artifacts that were touched, used or worn by the Master,"
      Pete wrote in a web posting in July 2001.
      > Everything began well, and I greatly enjoyed being a part of the
      constant ebb and flow of international visitors. I also enjoyed
      hosting musical concerts, plays and film shows as well as the more
      usual talks and devotional gatherings. I produced a dozen small
      films related to Meher Baba, and even directed one myself – Delia.
      From 1976 until the middle of 1979 I was (blessed by all but self-
      appointed) very much in the forefront of all activity in the U.K.
      surrounding Meher Baba.

      > All of the films shown at the opening of Oceanic had been
      sponsored by Pete and produced at Oceanic. They included The
      East/West Gathering and O, Parvardigar, both of which are still
      available through Sheriar Press. "Pete loves Baba deeply and in my
      view his greatest achievement is probably his beautiful setting of
      The Master's Prayer to music and later the production of the film O,
      Parvardigar, with this as the sound track," Delia DeLeon wrote in
      1991. "This film is most important as it shows Baba at different
      stages of His life, with the lepers, masts, at darshan programs, and
      with His devotees in different parts of the world." The film about
      Delia DeLeon which Pete and John Annunziato had been working on was
      also shown during the opening of Oceanic. "…Pete promised me
      the `Delia" film would be shown," DeLeon recalled. "With so much to
      do, this meant he and John had to work sometimes all night to get it
      finished." Townshend wrote, directed and narrated the piece.

      > -----
      >
      > So "Delia" was made in 1976 as were others Pete produced and
      supplied music to like "The God-Man", "O, Parvardigar" and "The East-
      West Gathering". I'm wondering what are the dates for "Meher Baba
      In Italy" and "Fred" which both include music by Billy as
      does "Delia". Are these films going to be released as a future part
      of the Archive Collection? [I've just sent another email inquiring
      about those as well as some other Baba films]. And...are there any
      other films with Billy Nicholls music in them?

      > Cheers,
      > Mike
      >

      > ---------------------------------

    • Mike Griffiths
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2006
        I don't know why the date of 1992 is attached to Delia.  Unless there was a video or DVD release at that time, which there wasn't.  Also, I don't know for sure whether there is or isn't another film with the same title, but the entry at imdb.com says Delia directed by Pete Townshend, so I think it would be appropriate to have the date changed to 1976.  If there is another Delia directed by someone else, it's not listed there.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        leb905 <pkeets@...> wrote:
        Thanks for the research, Mike.  I've tried emailing MEFA, too, but
        haven't ever gotten a response for some reason.  So, it does look
        like 1976?  Can you think of any reason someone would have entered
        this in the IMDB as 1992?  I don't want to hijack someone else's
        movie by changing the date on this, but how many films are there
        with this title?  If it's Pete's movie, I'd like for the entry to be
        accurate.

        Yahoo! Photos

      • L. Bird
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2006
          Okay. With that vote of confidence, I'll see if I can get it changed.