Ben's 8 string guitar thingy= barizouki

  • Chris Ashley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2000
      I heard from the Bragg Office today, forwarding Ben
      Mandelson's details about his barizouki. Many thanks
      to Ben and Toby.

      BTW, when Ben writes about the tuning, "Low C, 8ve c,
      low F, 8ve a, low A, 8ve a, low D, 8ve d," I'm sure he
      intended to write "low F, 8ve f", not "8ve a". And
      "8ve" means an octave.

      --- BraggOffice@... wrote:
      It's been a while coming, but Ben sent us the
      following information on his string driven thing.
      Hope it helps your e-group:

      The instrument is a 'barizouki' (= baritone
      bouzouki). The aim is to have a baritone voice one
      octave below the regular (greek) bouzouki. This is a
      prototype made from a Danelectro single-cutaway
      baritone guitar.

      The conversion was done by London master-luthier
      Andrew Scrimshaw as follows:

      the 2 sets of 3 tuning machine heads removed, holes
      filled, and replaced with Schaller 4-a-side mandolin
      sets; bridge/tailpiece removed and replaced with
      trapeze-style tailpiece (to take the 8 strings); new
      aluminium bridge block and compensated bridge cut to
      take the 8 strings (but still looks like a real dano
      part); new aluminium nut; strings as follows - 4 pairs
      essentially one octave below the greek bouzouki, but
      in octave pairs - (from low to high:) Low C, 8ve c,
      low F, 8ve a, low A, 8ve a, low D, 8ve d. The Lowest C
      is the C a major 3rd below the bottom E of a regular
      guitar; Pickups as stock.

      Because of the scale-length we have had to use a
      cocktail of strings, but seems to be sort of
      manageable. As there is no off-the-shelf dano
      barizouki set, this is what we use:

      1 D high 11 ernie ball
      2 D 26w ernie ball
      3 A high 16 picato extra long
      4 A 45 rotosound bass, replace end with smaller ball
      5 F high 24w ernie ball long loop end, add ball
      6 F 56 ernie ball
      7 C high 30w ernie ball
      8 C 65 rotosound bass, replace end with smaller ball

      Regards

      Bragg Office

      http://im.yahoo.com/