BBT1000 GROUPS- MP3 notes

  • drmark7@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004

      Took some time to make some notes on the latest batch of songs I've got from the groups.

      (90 percent from BBT10000) I thank everyone for providing these tunes.

      Dr. Mark drmark7@...

      *_*_*

      |-- C:\mp3

      CLARK, ROBIN- Daddy Daddy(Gotta Get A Phone In My Room)(1960)Capitol45.mp3

      Can't find much about this song or singer, but a "Robin Clark" later was a background singer

      with David Bowie, Foreigner. Don't know if it's the same one. Love the use of the ring that sounds more like a school bell than a phone. This is so catchy. I have to play it several times

      in a row.

      MARX, MELINDA- What (196_)VJ.mp3

      This is actually Groucho Marx's daughter. She once appeared on YOU BET YOUR LIFE with a young Candace Bergen and they sang a duet. "Play A Simple Melody."

      NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND- Peek a Boo (02-67)#72.mp3

      Actually NOT on the "Winchester Cathedral" LP, but rather their NEXT LP. Back cover says

      the lead singer was an old record collector and wrote "Winchester" to sound like a 20s song.

      JONES, GRANDPA- Mountain Dew (196_).mp3

      *THE* version of this song. Boy can "Grandpa" belt one out. When I was a kid, our neighbor knew Grandpa and one Sunday afternoon, he visited in a Cadillac!

      KRAFTWERK- Autobahn (03-75)#25.mp3

      One of the stranges tunes to appear yet on BBT10000. If anyone is familiar with THE BIG LEBOWSKI, they show an album cover of  a fictitious group called "Autobahn", that is a

      reference to KRAFTWERK. Anyone remember the animated "video" of "Autobahn" that used

      to show as a short filler on HBO? Back in the early 80s.

      STREISAND, BARBRA- Sam, You Made The Pants Too Long (05-66)#98.mp3

      Believe it or else, this song was written (under a different title in the 1920s) by MILTON BERLE!

      TYMES, THE- So Much in Love (06-63)#1.mp3

      Listen to this, then listen to BILLY JOEL's- "The Longest Time." They should have called it,

      "The Longest TYME." <G> He was clearly inspired by THE TYMES song.

      ASTAIRE, FRED & Jane Powell- How Could You Believe Me (195_)MGM45.wav

      Actual title: "How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You? (When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life)" From The 1951 movie ROYAL WEDDING. And retains the spoken interlude. I think this had a record for the longest song title. (At least in the Top 40) It's author also wrote songs for "An American In Paris" "My Fair Lady" and "Brigadoon"- which yielded the hit "Almost Like Being In Love"- covered in the 70s by MICHAEL JOHNSON.

      CARTER, WILF- Wha Hoppen (1951).mp3 // A great, C&W tinged, novelty tune.

      GORME, EDIE- Blame It On The Bossa Nova (01-63)#7.mp3

      I love this song. So simple So bad it's good. I have a nearly note for note version of this by ANNETTE that kind of trumps Edie's original. Is it just me or does Edie hit a couple of klinkers?

      DURANTE, JIMMY- I Came Here To Swim (1964)wb.mp3

      An amusing attempt to have the 70 year old singer try to get hip doing a Beatle-esque song!

      CHERRY SLUSH, THE- I Cannot Stop You (1968).mp3

      This sounds like it could have appeared on the LANCELOT LINK and the EVOLUTION album!

      BARBARA FELDON- 99 (1965).mp3

      Barbara from TV's GET SMART. Did anyone get that this was influenced by "Love Potion #9"

      by THE SEARCHERS (11/64)???

      CURB, MIKE, CONGREGATION- Sweet Gingerbread Man (1971) MGM.mp3

      I was so pleased to get this one!!! This was the theme from the 1971 hippie film,

      "The Magic Garden Of Stanley Sweetheart" starring DON JOHNSON!

      PHILLIPS, DAVE & The Hot Rod Gang- Tainted Love (1981).mp3

      *Amazing* cover version from the same time period as the SOFT CELL version (charted 01-82). I never even knew this existed! It was originally done in 1964 by GLORIA JONES on Imperial.

      *_*_*

      Questions?/Comments? * This Has Been e-mail From:
      "Dr. Mark" Hill * The Doctor Of Pop Culture /*/ drmark7@...

    • ~Puddleboy~
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        Thank you for enjoying the tunes, and providing some additional (and
        interesting) information on them. Your comments are always welcome!

        I wish I could research every song, but time prohibits this. Like I
        once said on another group...

        My job is to ~find~ the music. Your job is digging up the info on the
        artists. LOL

        ..... bbb