Friday's Musical Spotlight

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
      Our musical wayback machine has stopped in 1967 again and kicks off
      tonight with another rare one...

      Casanova-Ruby Andrews

      A good solid soul sound here, and you gotta love the label design...

      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0ruby.jpg

      Hows 'bout some more rare soul? This one must really be rare. I've
      ~never~ seen a copy!!!! I borrowed this pic from eBay, and the seller
      wanted like $50.00 for it

      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0james.jpg

      Come To Me Softly-Jimmy James & The Vagabonds

      If you download, you're getting a sweet soul ballad, you'ld think is
      from a Memphis group.

      Noppola!!

      This group is British!!!

      Speaking of merry old England, here's another British group. One that
      had several hits in their homeland, but barely charted here.

      Zabadak-Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mich & Tich

      This got a little bit of airplay. I liked it enough to seek out the
      record, though it took almost thirty years to find it.

      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0backy.jpg

      Little Old Man-Bill Cosby

      This was mentioned at BBT recently, so I dug up my old WinMX file on
      it. I would have did better to play the record. This is a ~lousy~
      vinyl conversion. I know some of mine are bad, but not this bad (LOL)

      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/00cosbyr.jpg

      Song is a parody of "Uptight", the Stevie Wonder hit, and this did
      crack the top 40.

      Making Every Minute Count-Spanky & Our Gang

      What? A real top 40 hit?

      I felt like hearing it (LOL)

      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0gang.jpg

      All ready now!!!

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
        --- I am not familiar with this song,,,otr the artist..Ruby
        Andrews..

        http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
        has a brief bio and album pix of 3 releases..
        Did you note the typo of 'Casonova' on your 'Zodiac' label shot?
        I would have spelled it "Casanova"
        Hmm I don't know much Spanish but with 'Casa' meaning room
        or house,,,and 'Nova' meaning 'new'.
        I guess the traslation of the word is "New House..or Room".

        John

        In billybeartrivia@yahoogroups.com, "Puddleboy" <badboybacky@...>
        wrote:

        > Our musical wayback machine has stopped in 1967 again and kicks
        off
        > tonight with another rare one...
        >
        > Casanova-Ruby Andrews
        >
        > A good solid soul sound here, and you gotta love the label
        design...

        > http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0ruby.jpg

        > Hows 'bout some more rare soul? This one must really be rare. I've
        > ~never~ seen a copy!!!! I borrowed this pic from eBay, and the
        seller
        > wanted like $50.00 for it
        >
        > http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0james.jpg
        >
        > Come To Me Softly-Jimmy James & The Vagabonds
        >
        > If you download, you're getting a sweet soul ballad, you'ld think
        is
        > from a Memphis group.
        >
        > Noppola!!
        >
        > This group is British!!!

        > Speaking of merry old England, here's another British group. One
        that
        > had several hits in their homeland, but barely charted here.
        >
        > Zabadak-Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mich & Tich
        >
        > This got a little bit of airplay. I liked it enough to seek out
        the
        > record, though it took almost thirty years to find it.
        >
        > http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0backy.jpg

        > Little Old Man-Bill Cosby
        >
        > This was mentioned at BBT recently, so I dug up my old WinMX file
        on
        > it. I would have did better to play the record. This is a ~lousy~
        > vinyl conversion. I know some of mine are bad, but not this bad
        (LOL)

        > http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/00cosbyr.jpg
        >
        > Song is a parody of "Uptight", the Stevie Wonder hit, and this did
        > crack the top 40.

        > Making Every Minute Count-Spanky & Our Gang
        >
        > What? A real top 40 hit?
        >
        > I felt like hearing it (LOL)
        >
        > http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e325/Puddleboy100/0gang.jpg
        >
        > All ready now!!!

      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          I needed to find out more abour Jimmy James and
          Vagabons..and ..again allmusic came throuigh with a very nice
          bio.
          http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:7w0qoawabijx~T1
          He and the group had a nice musical run in the 1960's..
          I was not familar with this artist til your post.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
            Wow!!!! Thankx for pointing that out!!! I've had that record for over
            thirty years and never saw that before.

            ..... bbb