Question about uploading files to groups

  • Wayne King
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

      I have been having trouble uploading files to the files folders of
      Yahoo groups. With plenty of room for the file and the file being under
      2 meg, during the upload, I'll often get a page saying that the page
      cannot be displayed. I'm using ADSL so it's not a speed issue. What is
      going on?

      Wayne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
        I guess it's still a speed issue. You may have a slow DSL. Can you
        try a different server?

        I also don't know what group you're trying to upload too. If it's not
        one of mine, the owner may have it set, so that only he and the mods
        could upload there.

        ..... bbb

        > Hi all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
        >
        > I have been having trouble uploading files to the files folders of
        > Yahoo groups. With plenty of room for the file and the file being
        under
        > 2 meg, during the upload, I'll often get a page saying that the
        page
        > cannot be displayed. I'm using ADSL so it's not a speed issue. What
        is
        > going on?
        >
        > Wayne

      • Vicki
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
          Here is the link to download Mozilla Firefox........I use this to
          upload songs and it is a LOT faster......I have uploaded a song at
          2700 kb with it....with Internet Explorer, I can't get much over
          2200 .....wicki:)

          http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

          > I guess it's still a speed issue. You may have a slow DSL. Can you
          > try a different server?
          >
          > I also don't know what group you're trying to upload too. If it's
          not
          > one of mine, the owner may have it set, so that only he and the
          mods
          > could upload there.
          >
          > ..... bbb
          >

          > > Hi all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
          > >
          > > I have been having trouble uploading files to the files folders
          of
          > > Yahoo groups. With plenty of room for the file and the file being
          > under
          > > 2 meg, during the upload, I'll often get a page saying that the
          > page
          > > cannot be displayed. I'm using ADSL so it's not a speed issue.
          What
          > is
          > > going on?
          > >
          > > Wayne

        • CJ
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
            Just for your information, I have DSL from Verizon, speeds vary real bad, Right now I am on twice as fast as dial up.(10kbs). Try checking your speed at post.net and see what it tells you.
            PS About ready to drop DSL if they can not give whats advertised.
            cj

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
              There could be issues within your computer too. The more
              programs/games/music/photos you got, it tends to slow it down. I will
              be clearing out some 'dead wood' from my MMJB later today. This will
              make some room for the hundred or so files I got from eMule last
              night. Right now my 'unlistened to folder' is overflowing, but I will
              getting to these during the week.

              Right now, I'm going to upload a few things, before they get deleted
              in the 'cleanout' this afternoon.

              Look for them on the shoe group.

              ..... bbb

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                Before Comcast upgraded my cable speed, I had to live with a limit of
                3500 KB. Luckliy most of what I upload falls well under that, but it
                was still frustrating at times.

                ..... bbb

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                    Don't you wish trouble shooting PC problems was easier? Sometimes you
                    don't ~know~ where to look.

                    ..... bbb

                    > Don't really beleive my problem is PC, Have installed my notebook
                    which is empty and speed does not change. But that can be a problem
                    also. Their were out twice to the house(Verizon) and both times service
                    was better. I beleive its the darn motem thats my problem.
                    > cj

                  • CJ

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                        Vicki posted a link to Firefox a little earlier. I've read about it and
                        heard it's very good. I'ld try it myself, but I don't have any problems
                        with Internet Explorer.

                        ..... bbb

                        > Sure do, But all thats really left is the modum. Or change in ISP's
                        > cj

                      • CJ

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                            That puts us back to the modum and the wires connecting it.

                            I guess your downloads are slower too. Mine are usually a few seconds,
                            but sometimes I'm sharing time with someone else and it's over a
                            minute. Sometimes up to three minutes, depending upon how many are
                            trying to get it.

                            ..... bbb

                            > I saved the link but like you I don't beleive IE is the problem, all
                            test sites give the same info. SLOW CONNECTION.
                            > cj

                          • CJ

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                                Sounds like you're right in suspecting the modum.

                                I'm heading offline too.

                                Have a good day!!

                                ..... bbb

                                > Verizon has rewired from pole to house, have rewired from wall to
                                modum. House wires are a possiblity. I still have dial up as a back up
                                and for work. Dial up is still the same speed as always. All I can say
                                is something has to change and soon, or good bye DSL, Hello cable.
                                > Speeds do vary on downloads but not from 120 to 10 or less. I have
                                dowloaded at speeds to 320 already. Sure is trying on the temper for
                                sure. Have a good one Billy, going off line for a few hours.
                                > cj

                              • Vicki
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                                  Well, I am happy with this DSL........I have to convert most albums anyhow to get them all into a site.......and I mainly do deal with albums.  So, I get more songs in that way:)   About everytime I go in to check my DSL speed, it reads 346 up and 97 down...........wicki:)

                                  Puddleboy <badboybacky@...> wrote:
                                  Before Comcast upgraded my cable speed, I had to live with a limit of
                                  3500 KB. Luckliy most of what I upload falls well under that, but it
                                  was still frustrating at times.

                                  ..... bbb

                                  > Here is the link to download Mozilla Firefox........I use this to
                                  > upload songs and it is a LOT faster......I have uploaded a song at
                                  > 2700 kb with it....with Internet Explorer, I can't get much over
                                  > 2200 .....wicki:)
                                  >
                                  >        http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

                                  Yahoo! Shopping
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
                                    I very rarely have to convert anything anymore. Just those that are
                                    over 5100 KB, and there's very few of them. I shy away from the large
                                    files on the P2P sites, but one will slip through now and then.

                                    ..... bbb

                                    ote: