A Nightmare on Elm Street Remake

  • goaliegurl33
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 7, 2009
      I'm sure by now everyone has heard that A Nightmare on Elm Street is being remade and Jackie Earl Haley is playing the role of Freddy Krueger. I'm curious to hear everyone's take on this; as I have heard some people saying that they are curious to see how he will take on the role and others saying that this is the worst thing ever. I, of course, feel there is only ONE Freddy Krueger. Supposidly, the story this time is that Freddy is falsely accused of molesting a child and is killed by the parents.

      Honestly, that kills the whole idea of Freddy being scary and dirty. I hate movies that try to make you feel remorse for a killer. It tones down the frightening aspect of the character and creates a film that is no longer a horror movie. I don't want a movie where you feel sorry for Freddy; I want a movie where you fear him. That's why I'll always stick with the original and avoid this piece of garbage.
    • Tom Barber
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 7, 2009
            Last I heard (which was quite a while ago), they were going for a prequel. But.... didn't they pretty much cover what happened in all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies? Why do we need a movie showing this? Lack of imagination. Prequel or remake... I think they are dumb ideas. I, too, think there is only ONE Freddy.
            And Hollywood keeps churning out these bad ideas because people keep going to see them.

        To: billjohnsononline@yahoogroups.com
        From: goaliegurl33@...
        Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:30:21 +0000
        Subject: [billjohnsononline] A Nightmare on Elm Street Remake

[...]

        Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.
      • Lili
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 7, 2009
          I agree.  That doesn't make sense.  If he was
          a good person, falsely accused, why not "go
          to the light" and move on?  Why stay and
          become they monster they thought he was?

          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 8, 2009
            No Robert Englund as Freddy = No $$$ from me.

            Don of the Dead
            Promotional Zombie for Crypticon MN's #1 Horror Convention
            This November.....party all NIGHTMARE long!

            ---

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 9, 2009
              I guess, like all the other remakes, we need to feel sorry for the killer and blame their homicidal tendencies on somebody else (ie: Leatherface with his skin disease and Michael Myers with a rough childhood). It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

              --- In billjohnsononline@yahoogroups.com, Lili <wicked_lil2001@...> wrote:

              > I agree.  That doesn't make sense.  If he was
              > a good person, falsely accused, why not "go
              > to the light" and move on?  Why stay and
              > become they monster they thought he was?
              >

              > GreatestHorrorMoviesEver_2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

            • Don Hinrichs
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2009
                Remember when evil didn't need an explanation?
                Myers just decided one day to kill, Leatherface was born into it, Jason inexplicably rose from his watery grave to avenge his mother.

                Explanation? Today's audience is too stupid to just accept the unexplainable. They need to have it spoon fed to them or they'll be lost.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2009
                  That's what I pick up on sometimes.  The
                  media tries to convince there is no such
                  thing as evil - just victims who make the
                  bad decision to victimize.

                  It's BS.  Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy,
                  Jeffrey Dahmer - these guys were evil.

                  And don't even get me started on the
                  Thrid Reich, the camps and Dr Mengele.

                  I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

                  I guess, like all the other remakes, we need to feel sorry for the killer and blame their homicidal tendencies on somebody else (ie: Leatherface with his skin disease and Michael Myers with a rough childhood). It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

                  --- In billjohnsononline@ yahoogroups. com, Lili <wicked_lil2001@ ...> wrote:

                  > I agree.  That doesn't make sense.  If he was
                  > a good person, falsely accused, why not "go
                  > to the light" and move on?  Why stay and
                  > become they monster they thought he was?
                  >

                  > GreatestHorrorMovie sEver_2-subscrib e@yahoogroups. com
                  >
                  > I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

                • jason stewart
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 10, 2009
                    The old formula for horror movies was that 'true evil never dies' and that it is possible for evil to be born evil. I'm reminded of a case back in the early 1990's where some seeingly normal red-headed kid who was around 11 years old, luered a young boy into a forest and savagely beat him to death. He had no real reason for doing it and claimed to be a normal kid. Why has it become popular for villians to be that way because other people made them that way. Doing this gives the villian a soul and creates a lack of sympathy for the victims.

                    Having said that, I do think that Jackie Earle Haley is a good choice as the new Freddy. He's an amazing actor and can play a psycho (check out his performance in 'Little Children'). I've actually spoke to jackie (via-email) many times and he even helped me with a short biography on his earlier career. He has had a great last few years and possibly has had one of the greatest comebacks ever. If anything, his performance will be one of the few good things the Nightmare remake has going for it.

                    I guess, like all the other remakes, we need to feel sorry for the killer and blame their homicidal tendencies on somebody else (ie: Leatherface with his skin disease and Michael Myers with a rough childhood). It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

                    --- In billjohnsononline@ yahoogroups. com, Lili <wicked_lil2001@ ...> wrote:

                    > I agree.  That doesn't make sense.  If he was
                    > a good person, falsely accused, why not "go
                    > to the light" and move on?  Why stay and
                    > become they monster they thought he was?
                    >

                    > GreatestHorrorMovie sEver_2-subscrib e@yahoogroups. com
                    >
                    > I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

                  • Melissa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 6, 2009
                      Good grief Hollywood needs to get new ideas. When I saw the previews was grossed out. Hell look they remade Children of the corn I didn't see that one it was on my birthday but we had company so i'm hoping they re-show it so I can say I watch it. Halloween 2 is another one that's just plain wrong

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 6, 2009
                        The bad thing about a 'sequel-to-a-remake' like Halloween 2 is that it will appeal ONLY to fans of the remake. At least the remake was a curiosity to fans of the original Halloween when it was first released. At least there would be some tributes to the original, as well as many of the same characters (even the unseen 'Ben Traymor') and situations (like the 'knifing Bob to the wall' scene). This film was pure and simply done by Rob Zombie standards. Not that its a bad thing, but what worked for 'Devil's Rejects' doesn't work for Halloween. I thought Rob was quite restrained in his first outing of Halloween, but now he seems like he's lost the love for the Halloween retelling and now wants to make sure the studio never calls him back to do another.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 7, 2009
                             Sadly, I have not seen Halloween (remake), nor will I be seeing the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I loved House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects, but refuse to contribute to this 'remake' nonsense.

                          To: billjohnsononline@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jayanxiety@...
                          Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:02:21 -0700

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 9, 2009
                               I picked up Toolbox Murders from Walmart for $5.00 and watched it. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?
                               Another really good DVD I got for $5 was called The Boneyard, which is actually just a documentary from the Discovery Channel, and the disk also includes another documentary called Six Degrees of Helter Skelter, all about the Manson murders. A very good watch. And the price is right. :)
                               Anything else good out there?

                            Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live. Learn more.
                          • jason stewart
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 9, 2009
                              I really liked Toolbox Murders. It really was nice to see Tobe Hooper back to what he did best. The atmosphere was creepy as was the music. Too bad it got overlooked at the time of its release as it could have been Hooper's big 'comeback'.
                              If you're looking for some really good 'newer' horror titles to rent you really should check out 'Wolf Creek', 'Vacancy 2: The First Cut', 'Wrong Turn', 'The Strangers' and the new 'My Bloody Valentine'.

                                 I picked up Toolbox Murders from Walmart for $5.00 and watched it. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?
                                 Another really good DVD I got for $5 was called The Boneyard, which is actually just a documentary from the Discovery Channel, and the disk also includes another documentary called Six Degrees of Helter Skelter, all about the Manson murders. A very good watch. And the price is right. :)
                                 Anything else good out there?

                              Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live. Learn more.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • vince ruffalo
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 9, 2009
                                I found ToolBox to be "ok"    but I saw a lot of potential in the sequel with tony todd signed on

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 9, 2009
                                      One big problem I had with it was that it was so dark. And not moody and brooding-kind of dark. I mean it was hard to see because it wasn't lit. There were plenty of "jump" moments, but frankly I couldn't even be startled as I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. A guy dressed in black chasing someone barely lit in the blackness of a shadowy hotel.... yeah, pretty uneventful.
                                      I keep waiting for someone to make a good horror movie (scary, not gory) in broad daylight. Plenty of great classics did.

                                  To: billjohnsononline@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: lordzero17@...
                                  Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:36:45 -0800
                                  Subject: Re: [billjohnsononline] Toolbox Murders

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 11, 2009
                                    Toolbox Murders was actually a decent film. The acting was good and the uneasy feeling throughout the whole thing worked out perfectly. I'm usually not big on remakes but I feel Tobe did a nice job.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 18, 2009
                                      It's been years since I have seen the Tool Box Murders I can't remember to much about what it's about other than it was rated 8 on my scale if a movie reach's 10 on my scale I will watch it over and over. It's good to know it's out on DVD i might look into getting it to see again..

                                      Toolbox Murders was actually a decent film. The acting was good and the uneasy feeling throughout the whole thing worked out perfectly. I'm usually not big on remakes but I feel Tobe did a nice job.

                                      --- In billjohnsononline@ yahoogroups. com, Tom Barber <motman241@. ..> wrote:

                                      > One big problem I had with it was that it was so dark. And not moody and brooding-kind of dark. I mean it was hard to see because it wasn't lit. There were plenty of "jump" moments, but frankly I couldn't even be startled as I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. A guy dressed in black chasing someone barely lit in the blackness of a shadowy hotel.... yeah, pretty uneventful.
                                      >
                                      > I keep waiting for someone to make a good horror movie (scary, not gory) in broad daylight. Plenty of great classics did.
                                      >

                                      > To: billjohnsononline@ yahoogroups. com
                                      > From: lordzero17@. ..
                                      > Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:36:45 -0800
                                      > Subject: Re: [billjohnsononline] Toolbox Murders
                                      >

                                      > I found ToolBox to be "ok" but I saw a lot of potential in the sequel with tony todd signed on

                                    • jason stewart
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
                                        I really liked it. Possibly one of the few good horror films of the 21st century (so far). If it's possible for a remake to be called 'original' this actually does it! Funny, since the original Toolbox was actually seen as a bad ripoff of Hooper's TCM. Perhaps Hooper and company should have omited the 'remake' associations and perhaps titled it 'The Apartment Murders', 'Massacre with Tools' or even 'The Handyman Killer'. Too bad this film got overlooked back in '03. It really could've been Tobe's big comeback.

                                        It's been years since I have seen the Tool Box Murders I can't remember to much about what it's about other than it was rated 8 on my scale if a movie reach's 10 on my scale I will watch it over and over. It's good to know it's out on DVD i might look into getting it to see again..

                                        Toolbox Murders was actually a decent film. The acting was good and the uneasy feeling throughout the whole thing worked out perfectly. I'm usually not big on remakes but I feel Tobe did a nice job.

                                        --- In billjohnsononline@ yahoogroups. com, Tom Barber <motman241@. ..> wrote:

                                        > One big problem I had with it was that it was so dark. And not moody and brooding-kind of dark. I mean it was hard to see because it wasn't lit. There were plenty of "jump" moments, but frankly I couldn't even be startled as I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. A guy dressed in black chasing someone barely lit in the blackness of a shadowy hotel.... yeah, pretty uneventful.
                                        >
                                        > I keep waiting for someone to make a good horror movie (scary, not gory) in broad daylight. Plenty of great classics did.
                                        >

                                        > To: billjohnsononline@ yahoogroups. com
                                        > From: lordzero17@. ..
                                        > Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:36:45 -0800
                                        > Subject: Re: [billjohnsononline] Toolbox Murders
                                        >

                                        > I found ToolBox to be "ok" but I saw a lot of potential in the sequel with tony todd signed on

                                        Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!