Tom Steed

  • ttrcy@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2012

         Steed is clear and ridable.  The cruel summer killed many trees and the grass looks like it's still dormant from the year before, but for mountain bikers the weedeating from last winter has been preserved along the parts I have seen.  Corey has ridden out there and the parts he saw were clear.  I wonder about the green brier area deep in the east loop.

         An old shortcut has been reopened.  After you start above the bait shop, go left at the Y, go right at another fork as you come downhill (grassy), this takes you to the base of a technical steep climb next to a sloped rock wall.  You then cross a high meadow and come out at the main trail under some evergreens.  Or if you stop just short of the main trail, you will see a short link going left (east) that takes you over to the other main trail that comes up from the park road.  This is where that main trail crosses the solid rocky creek and kicks uphill on its way towards the Two-Way crossing / Step-Drop area.

         A small loop has been cleared that we call the Altus loop, after some Altus riders who marked it a few years ago for a warm-up.  Go left at the Y, then left at the next fork (rock), and you come back out near the pavilion area.  So if you start near the pavilion/bait shop area, you have small and medium loops as needed.

        Somebody's been riding, I've seen tire tracks out there.  Tell your non-biking friends it's a nice hiking trail, with a big rocky hill to climb above it.  A quick and easy hiking choice if you don't want to commit to a big hike in the refuge.  A map of the main trail can be found at ridesteed.com or okearthbike.com.

         Tracy T