Re: [bikebuilders] Re: Using low temp alloys for bending tubing

  • BARRY PARKER
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2005
       Hello  Folks. Have any of you tried the sand  bending "hot"?  I just did a tube  bumper for a 1952 Allard.  I didn't use a bending machine . Just a torch. Free form bending. It works great!!!  Barry.

      dan pickett <dwpickett1954@...> wrote:
      The tricky part about using sand is the air that remains around the sand particles. Using a low temp alloy would solve this problem. The hydro-formed frame rails used currently by General Motors are made by filling the tubing with a liquid, under high pressure. When it is formed in the tooling, the liquid prevents collapse. This allows them to make more intricate bends and it doesn't compromise the integrity of the steel. Sand is cheaper and if you shake and pack it long enough it works very well.

      Dan

      Ian <unklian@...> wrote:
      Packing with DRY sand,and capping the ends definately works,
      people have been doing that for years.

      I'm GUESSING that the Low Temp Alloys would work better
      on some very tight bends,since it would be harder to compress
      the solid alloy than packed sand.

      And the process MIGHT be quicker and easier in a production setting.

      For most applications,packed DRY sand will do the job just fine.

      --- In bikebuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Horton" <jhorton@p...>
      wrote:
      > Hello Ian,
      >
      > Thanks for the article.
      >
      > Maybe I missed something as I quickly cruised through this article
      but you can also pack a tube with dry sand, cap the ends,  and bend
      away.  I'm assuming that these folks are just using the low temp.
      media as a way to fill the tube.  Probably more precise and less
      distortion (?) but never the less just a filler media.  Refer to Ron
      Covell's video,  " Working With Tubing"  ( http://www.covell.biz/ ).
      He shows this method of forming tubing in detail in the video.  I
      described the techniques Ron demos in his video to a friend that is
      building a Gyro-copter and he successfully used Ron's method to form
      some non-critical parts.  He was very happy with the bends and they
      were right-on the money for his application.
      > The method described in the article is way kool but a bag of sand
      from Home Depot is way less expensive.  Again,  thanks for the
      article.  Later   Jay

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Jay Horton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
        Hello Ian,

        I recently read some information indicating that a certain kind of salt works better than sand because of the more regular shape of the crystal.  It seems that once the crystals are packed together, using the same age-old procedure as the and sand packing, that the crystals won't readily become dislodged from next to each as a result of their shape.  Now,  I wished I had written down the type of salt:  it wasn't regular Na Cl, although, it seems that some do use regular salt to bend small tubing.    Later   Jay