Re: Bike in a Box

  • nagelectomy
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
      Check out Exile Cycles. They offer 'kit' versions of everything they
      sell. You can get just a frame, a rolling chassis in one crate and
      the mechanicals in another, or a fully assembled and painted ride.

      I happen to think their stuff is exceptional. Tons of style,
      and 'clean' to the point of looking sanitary. It is pricey, but seems
      straight forward as far as the build goes.

      Paul

      --- In bikebuilders@yahoogroups.com, "random_stuff3201" <asmith@w...>
      wrote:
      > A kit can be a great way to go, but as mentioned, it is limited to
      > what the kit manufacturer includes. If you want the experience of
      > putting a bike together, more for the experience than the bike
      > itself, or if you know little or nothing about the mechanics of
      > motorcycles, this would be the best way to go. Everything is
      > included, and should fit (if it doesn't, you know to whom to
      > complain), so you can concentrate on the build, and gaining the
      > confidence, instead of worrying about which parts you need for your
      > aplication, etc.
      >
      > If you know quite a bit about bikes, you would probably be better
      off
      > piecing the bike out yourself. Most likely cheaper, and you get the
      > parts you want, not what someone else wants you to have. A lot more
      > unknowns here, but you will most likely get the bike you wnat out
      of
      > the deal
      >
      > There is a book, "How to build a cheap chopper", by Timothy Remus
      > (item # 137208AE at www.motorbooks.com) that looks to address
      > the "donor bike" type of build. Motorbooks has other books on
      > choppers, and I'm sure you can find something at Barnes and Noble
      > (www.bn.com), or Amazon.com
      >
      > I would also recommend subscribing to a motorcycle mag that
      features
      > the style you like best. I get Easyriders, Hot Bike, Street
      Chopper,