Re: [bikebuilders] Re: installing a magneto

  • Mario
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13 10:25 AM
      I did the same thing for same reasons 5 or 6 years ago never had any problems and enjoy ridin' it!
      My '73 Shovel was an E-Glide so it seems to have an extra strong alternator which works perfect with
      the batterie eliminator. I rode it without the eliminator first but when idling the lights flickered.
      It even kickstarts a lot better with the Magneto cause it retards the ignition when kickin'.
      Not a cheap idea though....

      mario

      have a look at http://www.speedlook.de

        wrote:

        > I might be picking up an old '72 shovelhead next week and I am
        looking to
        > install a magneto and take that ugly battery out and also replace
        the oilbag
        > with a  barrel oilbag.  How hard and how would I go about this?
        Is it an
        > easy task a hard one, etc??
        >
        > thanks in advance!
        >
        > Jason

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • John Brown
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 15 10:56 PM
          Mario, I've had a couple of bikes set up like that. On a dark
          night on a crooked road, running 70 mph, leaning into a corner, you
          go on reserve, the engine dies, the lights dim, you pull in the
          clutch, they go off....damn where is the road! The semi truck with a
          load of bricks behind you says...wheredego?...........
          Don't think it can't happen, same thing happens when the batt
          eliminator takes a dump..........good luck....I have a vertex for my
          rigid, but it will have a batt somewhere...jb

          Service.
        • playtheblues@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16 5:47 AM
            keeping the blues alive...
            Bullmastiffs & guitars "The coolest people dig the blues.."
          • John Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17 7:56 AM
              I have a bunch of shovel parts. I build HD engines for a living.
              I have several complete engines disassembled for inspection/repair.
              I also build stroker/bigbore engines. I have several customer
              bikes , and engines on the table right now, and also a good deal on a
              complete 80" FLT. My E-mail is Boogiemanz1@... I will ship,
              but prefer to deal face to face. I can build from Flatheads to
              Twinkies, but shovels/Evos are my specialties. Full Machine shop,
              balancing etc.

              If you are intrested, e-mail and I will send you my
              number....Located in Eastern Okla.........Sorry for the
              spam......John Brown

              --- In bikebuilders@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW LOCKHART

              Service.

            • John Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 17 4:30 PM
                Andrew, I tried posting this earlier and it didn't make it. YAHOO
                strikes again. It will probably show in a day or so. I will spam a
                if that is OK. I have several shovelhead engines, most are
                disassembled for inspection or rebuild. I probably have most of the
                parts to build a few more. On of my customers has an `80 FLT with an
                engine torn apart. There is very little wrong with it for $4K. If I
                can help with your project, let me know. This is my busy season, but
                If I can help I will...........reply to John Brown, Boogiemanz Hot
                Rod and Custom Bike, Bixby, OK 74008
                Boogiemanz1@...

                <alockharttamu@y...> wrote:
                > I have everything for my chopper but i am missing an engine (very
                important part) i am looking for an Shovel. any idea about where i
                can get one.
                > Andrew
                >

                > Mario <mail@w...> wrote:
                > I did the same thing for same reasons 5 or 6 years ago never had
                any problems and enjoy ridin' it!
                > My '73 Shovel was an E-Glide so it seems to have an extra strong
                alternator which works perfect with
                > the batterie eliminator. I rode it without the eliminator first but
                when idling the lights flickered.
                > It even kickstarts a lot better with the Magneto cause it retards
                the ignition when kickin'.
                > Not a cheap idea though....
                >
                > mario
                >
                > have a look at http://www.speedlook.de