Re: [bigtenvb] olympic matches

  • Chris Wolf
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
      > >2. Why should an announcer who won an olympic silver medal in the sport
      > >(albeit on the beach) not know the difference between the ref's signal
      > >for "lift" vs. that for "back-row block"?
      > >
      > As I recall that exchange, it was the play-by-play announcer who made
      > that mistake. I noticed that Dodd let it slide.

      I heard that remark as coming from Dodd. I figured that he just missed
      seeing the signal and "guessed" at what he thought the most likely violation
      was. I'm sure broadcasting is hard work, and it's pretty difficult to keep
      track of everything. Overall I thought he did okay, but I was bugged by
      little things such as this one and, for example, the way he kept referring
      to the "10-foot line". I'm old enough that I still do that sometimes, but
      you can bet that if I was doing a broadcast I would have trained myself
      ("3-meter line, 3-meter line, 3-meter line..."). On the other hand, I was
      very impressed with Karch Kiraly's work on beach volleyball. It was some of
      the most insightful I've ever heard.
    • greg lirdam
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
        Hi Doug

        I missed it. Both of those teams have size and can really hit. Let me know if you find it on tape. Thanks

        Doug O'Neal <tychobrahe@...> wrote:
        Wow -- whup-ass match between Russia and China for the gold.  If you
        haven't seen it, try to get your hands on a tape!  Two questions for
        volleyball pundits on the list:

        1.  I'm not sure if I've seen the defense that Russia was running, from
        any other team at a level higher than recreational: the middle defender
        (the setter, when she was back row) played up, just behind the blockers
        to take care of dinks.  How common is this, now and in the recent past?

        2.  Why should an announcer who won an olympic silver medal in the sport
        (albeit on the beach) not know the difference between the ref's signal
        for "lift" vs. that for "back-row block"?

              Doug

        To unsubscribe from this group, send an e-mail
        to bigtenvb-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Chris Wolf
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
          I have the NBC broadcast of the US women vs. Brazil, as well as the women's
          bronze and gold matches. Unfortunately, due to a screwup on my part, the
          gold-medal match ends at 14-14 in game 4. I also have some of the men's
          indoor and women's beach matches. I also have the 2004 NCAA men's
          championship match that you asked about months ago. I'd be willing to make
          copies if you want. In some ways it's easier for me to burn a DVD-R rather
          than VHS. Can you play that format?

            > I was out of town for the gold medal game so I missed it. Does anybody
            have a copy of any of the semifinal games, medal games or the USA-Brazil
            match? I watched part of the USA-Russia game and I was in shock of how tall
            Gamova was, she is 6-8 but she looks over 6-10. She is a monster. Also, did
            they show the USC-Minnesota game on any channels, it was originally going to
            be on ESPN2 but then they changed it or something.

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an e-mail
            to bigtenvb-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Barry Ishikawa
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004

              I'd like to get the USA-Cuba game from you as well Chris, VHS or DVD works for me, which ever one is cheaper and easier for you. I'd also like to get the women's bronze medal game if you have it or the women's semifinal between Brazil and the Aussies if you have that one also. Please let me know.

              Thanks, Barry

              > I would be interested in the USA vs. Brazil, the China vs. Russia and the beach volleyball. If you put it on DVD-R that would be great. I can send you a check to cover the DVD-R and shipping and your time. Let me know. I am not hearing much about Michigan State volleyball this year. They should be better than last year. Thanks
              >
              > Chris Wolf wrote:
              > I have the NBC broadcast of the US women vs. Brazil, as well as the women's
              > bronze and gold matches. Unfortunately, due to a screwup on my part, the
              > gold-medal match ends at 14-14 in game 4. I also have some of the men's
              > indoor and women's beach matches. I also have the 2004 NCAA men's
              > championship match t hat you asked about months ago. I'd be willing to make
              > copies if you want. In some ways it's easier for me to burn a DVD-R rather
              > than VHS. Can you play that format?

              Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

            • Chris Wolf
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                USA vs. Brazil is about 48 minutes, the part of the gold-medal match I have is two hours, but you didn't say what beach volleyball you wanted.  For example, the McPeak-Youngs/May-Walsh semi plus the bronze and gold matches totals just about two hours.  I have 8 other matches involving the U.S. women's beach teams ranging from 13 minutes to 51 minutes.  The only one I remember being very interesting was McPeak-Youngs vs. Canada.
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Boy it's easy to reply the wrong way! Sorry.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004

                    Okay, I would also like to get a couple more games from you if possible. I want the 2004 Men's Championship(the tape ran out after game 3) if thats okay and the McPeak/Youngs bronze medal game and Canada game. Let me know if this is a problem with you.

                    Thanks, Barry