Big Shoulder Buddhists

  • j_hendry
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 22, 1998
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for Big Shoulder Buddhists community.
    • tokyowalker
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 15, 1998
      • GoodBuddh80
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 26, 1998
        • Reverend_Hoyu_Jokyo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 1999
          • dwalsh9095
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 13, 1999
            • denderah_luxor
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2000
                I have a few questions:<br><br>1. How are the
                dorje (or vajra) and bell (or brimbull) used in
                meditation? As in, when is the bell rung? What mudras are
                made with the dorje in hand and when?<br><br>2. Why
                are there 108 beads in a mala?<br><br>3. Why do some
                108 beaded-malas have counters?<br><br>4. Is there
                any website which would detail how to do worship
                (using a kata, drimbull, dorje, candle, incense,
                shanti shantihi!
              • hunor100
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 22, 2000
                  Hello everyone! I am a recent member and am a
                  Chicagoan that will be returning to the Windy City next
                  week. I am a Buddhist of a basically generic tradition,
                  though I have studied and practiced in the Korean
                  Mahayana and Theravada traditions. I am currently living
                  in Korea and am mostly experienced with Korean
                  monks, temples and parctices. I want to get the "low
                  down" or some "insiders insights" on the various
                  traditions represented here in Chicago. I have seen the list
                  provided by one of the members posted here, and am
                  wondering about some of the Korean temples and some of the
                  Japanese ones as well. Specifically what do the members
                  here know about the Heartland Sangha, the Buddhist
                  Temple of Chicago, the Zen Buddhist Temple or the
                  HanMaUm Temple? I would appreciate any knowledge that
                  anyone would be willing to share. I am also open to some
                  of the Vajrayana groups as well, though I know very
                  little about them. Thank you in advance for the info!
                • heroesilencioso
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
                    Hi, I have an admiration for budhism, eventhough
                    I don't understand exactly what it is really the
                    goal for budhists, but there is something well hidden
                    in myself that makes it interesting.. Three years
                    ago I began a journal in Christianity, and I feel
                    happy and sad..<br>The reason is because I discovered
                    one key in everything that surrounds us and is
                    love... I believe that all of us need to feel support
                    from others. Certain dependence as well as
                    independence.. I hate people who call themselves to have all
                    keys in life while pride blinds them...<br><br>Pride
                    is what makes people never learn from others.. that
                    is why in my environment is hard to be accepted and
                    understood.. I am irritated when people depend more in what
                    they ware than what's in their hearts.. I hate the
                    obscession people have to live in what they believe leaving
                    aside brothers even if they are physically there.. I am
                    discouraged, I can't believe that sometimes in my life people
                    can be open minded to understand me.. Some friends
                    want to help but they never begin by understanding me
                    rather they preach and denied what I think is reasonably
                    good.. <br><br>I could look for help from someone of my
                    congregation but they wont speak from their hearts only for
                    what they always preach to themselves... I don't know
                    what else to tell you.. But I suggest all of you to be
                    true and honest when you talk with people of the same
                    belief... Tell really what you feel about something even if
                    it seems wrong... Don't go by customs, they don't
                    buy true happiness. They can be switch for the
                    importance of what you believe. They can also cause others
                    from the outside to be rejected, and severely judge.
                    It's is many times better to do something from your
                    heart than just do things according to obedience.. Why
                    to be obedient while there is hypocrasy???
                    feel for others....
                  • bernear1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 20, 2001
                      I am very interested in learning more about
                      buddhism. I was raised in a catholic family, but never felt
                      at peace with the religion. I have read some books
                      on buddhism and I am interested in learning more but
                      don't know where to go. I am nervous about going to a
                      temple because I do not at all look asian and I do not
                      want to completely stick out and I do not realy know
                      much about buddhism except from a couple books. I
                      would like to learn more. Does anyone know of any
                      temples that teach buddhism to people like me that are
                      clueless about it. I live around Morris/Joliet Illinois
                      area.
                    • mmhr473
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 11, 2001
                        I would like to say....<br>You have a mind of a
                        Buddha. What you are talking about is our karma we all go
                        thru karma...<br>You have the buddha nature in you. We
                        all the seed to be planted an grows out of muck then
                        to a beauitfull lotus flower.<br>Yes, people are
                        blinded by thier own actions an deeds and greed. Yes,
                        people tend to stray away from the truth an delusional
                        world. But the elements are people has the tendencies to
                        judge an ridicule that dont need to apply with thier
                        own essertions of state of ability of their
                        co-exsitences of life.<br>In buddhism it teaches you to be open
                        mined and learn how to be a better person not a
                        arrogance one. But to be able to practice gongyo an chant
                        odiamuko with appreciations in our lives. To go thru
                        struggles an hardship that we all go thru an we need to
                        except in our daily lives an move on an great benfits.
                        As benefits saying you need to put action frist of
                        your statablity of what ever you are countering for.
                        And to be happy in your life when you chant you get
                        this great senseation of warmth inside an it flows
                        from you to other people can see it. Its really great
                        to feel that way! Pride is hard to swallow these
                        days but to be able to move on we practice
                        Namu-myoho-renge-kyo an do gongyo an chant for their happiness! <br>I
                        do agree with you in your post here an GREAT JOB!
                        You should me the one to post your opinon in others
                        post here an you have the compassionate for your self
                        an to others as well. I amend you a great
                        deal!<br>Have a great day!!!!! :):):):):)<br>Ciao,Mary
                      • ddmbachicago
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 8, 2001
                          Please pass this information to whoever you think
                          it would help him/her. Meditation ,which is buddism
                          approach; is a very powerful tool to get rid of depress and
                          help people improve ability to concentrate on your
                          work regardless your religion.<br><br>click the link
                          below to download application
                          Mountain Buddhist Association Chicago Chapter<br><br>1144
                          Waukegan Road, Northbrook, IL 60062<br><br>On July 14 and
                          15, the Chicago chapter of Dharma Drum Mountain
                          Buddhist Association (<a href=http://www.chan1.org/ target=new>http://www.chan1.org/</a> or Alternative
                          site in Taiwan-Chinese Big5 <a href=http://www.ddm.org.tw/ target=new>http://www.ddm.org.tw/</a>)
                          will be offering a one day beginners workshop on Chan
                          (Chinese Zen) meditation and Chan philosophy, followed by
                          a one day meditation retreat. This workshop is
                          based on the training method of Chan master Sheng-yen.
                          Master Sheng-yen is a Chinese monk who has received
                          direct transmission in two major schools of Chan, Lingji
                          (Rinzai) and Cao-Dong (Soto). He has been teaching Chan in
                          the US and Taiwan for more than 20 years. He is the
                          author of Subtle Wisdom (Doubleday, 1999) and Hoofprint
                          of the Ox (Oxford University Press,
                          2000).<br><br>The workshop and retreat will be led by Gilbert
                          Gutierrez. Mr. Gutierrez has over twenty five years of
                          meditative training. He has been certified by Master
                          Sheng-yen to teach Chan classes. Besides practicing law in
                          Los Angeles, he is active in many community groups.
                          He teaches meditation and Buddhism classes at
                          Riverside and Rosemead, California. He is the founding
                          leader of the Riverside Chan Meditation Group.<br><br>
                          both days, at the Divine Word International Techny
                          Towers Conference. Center, 2001 Waukegan Road, Techny,
                          IL 60082,1 mile north of Willow Rd. To Register or
                          for more information, please contact: Isabel Huang
                          (847)480-1583 IsabelHuang@...; Iris Wang (847)564-3602;
                          TsuiYenWang@...; or Shujen Yeh (847)223-7294
                          above) by providing the information below or <br><br>Fax
                          (847)498-1616