BeeLine GPS Max Velocity

  • Gray
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2012
      I am about to purchase one of your BeeLine GPS units for the 4xx Mhz, i.e., 70 cm band to be used with my Yaesu VX-8GR handheld HAM radio.

      As this application will be for supersonic flights and I am hearing there are velocity limits for GPS tracking (typically 515m/sec or less). I am hoping you can provide the maximum speed this tracking unit can handle w/o losing GPS track. Also it is assumed that the unit will reboot in the air and/or regain tracking shortly after the rocket speed falls below the maximum tracking velocity.

      Which specific chip does this unit use or am I correct in assuming that this unit uses the Trimble 1919 which should have a COCOM reference?

      And/or does COCOM impact your products?
    • Greg Clark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2012
        The BeeLine GPS uses the Trimble Lassen IQ

        The GPS Receiver firmware contains an algorithm that allows either the speed limit (515 m/s) or altitude limit (18,000 m) to be exceeded, but not both.

        So, no problem w/ exceeding 515 m/s unless you're also above 18,000m at that time.

        HOWEVER, assuming this is for rocketry, I have never seen a GPS maintain lock during the boost phase of the flight.  The GPS almost always losses lock during  motor burn, and reacquires lock after burnout, well after it's below 515 m/s.

        -- Greg