New File Uploaded to Bigdob

  • szsherm
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
      I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, shown
      stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up at IHOP (Ice
      House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is not yet
      installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the meantime.
      Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).

      IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.

      Clear skies,
      Shneor Sherman
    • starcrazed_1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
        revolutionary it may be, some of us like to work with wood and enjoy its
        looks though.

        John

        On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:07:52 -0000 "szsherm" <shneor@...>
        writes:
        > I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, shown
        > stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up at IHOP
        > (Ice
        > House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is not yet
        > installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the
        > meantime.
        > Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
        >
        > IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
        >
        > Clear skies,
        > Shneor Sherman

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Robert Leyland
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
          Hi Shneor,

          That's a nice looking telescope. I remember that your 17.5 dwarfed
          the 323 when unloaded, and now a 22" in the same car, well done!

          cheers,
          Robert.

          >I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, shown
          >stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up at IHOP (Ice
          >House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is not yet
          >installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the meantime.
          >Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
          >
          >IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
          >
          >Clear skies,
          >Shneor Sherman

          Robert Leyland, r.leyland@...

          Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow!
        • Paul Alsing
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
            ...my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, .. IMHO, this is a revolutionary
            dssign.

            > Clear skies,
            > Shneor Sherman

            Shneor,

            Are we going to see this new 'scope at Shingletown later this month?

            \Paul Alsing
          • telescope_designs_unlimited
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
              Which file is it? I cant seem to find it.

              John

              --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "szsherm" <shneor@d...> wrote:
              > I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, shown
              > stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up at IHOP
              (Ice
              > House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is not yet
              > installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the
              meantime.
              > Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
              >
              > IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
              >
              > Clear skies,
              > Shneor Sherman
            • pemulvogue
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                Click Show All at bottom of Photos page.Last thumbnail.

                Paul

                --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "telescope_designs_unlimited"
                <starcrazed_1@j...> wrote:
                > Which file is it? I cant seem to find it.
                >
                > John
                >

                > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "szsherm" <shneor@d...> wrote:
                > > I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, shown
                > > stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up at IHOP
                > (Ice
                > > House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is not yet
                > > installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the
                > meantime.
                > > Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
                > >
                > > IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
                > >
                > > Clear skies,
                > > Shneor Sherman
              • szsherm
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                  --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Alsing" <palsing@n...> wrote:
                  > ...my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, .. IMHO, this is a
                  revolutionary
                  > dssign.
                  > >
                  > > Clear skies,
                  > > Shneor Sherman
                  >
                  > Shneor,
                  >
                  > Are we going to see this new 'scope at Shingletown later this month?
                  >
                  > \Paul Alsing

                  Yes, it will be there. Still using my platform until the drive
                  circuitry is completed; don't know when that will be.
                  Clear skies,
                  Shneor Sherman
                • szsherm
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Sorry, it's inthe "photos" section.
                    Clear skies,
                    Shneor Sherman
                    <starcrazed_1@j...> wrote:
                    > Which file is it? I cant seem to find it.
                    >
                    > John
                    >

                    > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "szsherm" <shneor@d...> wrote:
                    > > I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass dob, shown
                    > > stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up at IHOP
                    > (Ice
                    > > House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is not yet
                    > > installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the
                    > meantime.
                    > > Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
                    > >
                    > > IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
                    > >
                    > > Clear skies,
                    > > Shneor Sherman
                  • mbungart
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                      I've seen several "minimalist" scopes on various web pages
                      over the past year and am curious about a few things.

                      To the eye, they look as if they are fairly lightweight. How stable
                      are they? In a wind? Im assuming that you use a light shroud
                      since there is no baffles,etc, right? Finally, Since the upper
                      assembly is very minimalist and ( once again, just looking at the
                      pics) appears rather lightweight, can it handle the heavier Nagler
                      eyepieces without causing sagging? How does a Nagler affect
                      balance? I think these are intriguing designs, by not sure how
                      they actually perform.

                      Thanks!

                      Mark

                      > > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "szsherm" <shneor@d...>
                      wrote:
                      > > > I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass
                      dob, shown
                      > > > stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up
                      at IHOP
                      > > (Ice
                      > > > House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is
                      not yet
                      > > > installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the
                      > > meantime.
                      > > > Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
                      > > >
                      > > > IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
                      > > >
                      > > > Clear skies,
                      > > > Shneor Sherman
                    • Neil Carroll
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                        Mark, The history of the Dobsonian mount and it's various evolutions over the last 30 years has always been greeted with doubt and skepticism. The Dob mount, even in the minimalist designs of various scope makers, can be very very stable. I believe that stability has little to do with mass and everything to do with the stiffness and the balance of the scope. If the scope is stiff and well balanced it should be very stable. THere are many factors and any design can be built well or poorly. The minimalist or ultralight designs that appear on the net and at star parties do not all necessarily work nor do the necessarily not work. It depends on the execution of the design and the details of the design itself. The lower center of gravity also contributes to the stability of this type of scope.

                        As an anecdote, I was out the other night....I happen to use an ultralight type design 10" f/5......with my scope and a fellow club member was there with their equatorrily mounted 10" reflector (probably f/6). The images danced around when moving the scope and took 3-4 seconds to settle down when released. My ultralight dob moves smoothly and with little effort and when it is released , the image stops in less than a second.

                        I'm not saying that this is the case with all comparisons of equatorial mounts and dob mounts....because there is such a wide range in the quality of design and construction. But meaning to point out that a well constructed ultralight CAN be very very stable.

                        THe wind is a factor if there is a shroud.

                        Dark-non light polluted skies have no need for a shroud. Since the whole idea of an ultralight is to be able to take a big scope to a dark sky.......most of the time a shroud wouldn't be needed.

                        The truss design can and should be very stiff and if it is also well balanced the long focal lenght Naglers, Panoptics etc should only push the scope down towards the horizon and offset the balance of the scope. A counterweight will be appropriate to correct the balance. THere should be no sagging in the truss assembly. If there is the design and size or material of the tubes should be reconsidered.

                        performance of this design is a matter of how well it was designed and constructed. All designs, wether they be solid tube, truss tube, equatorial mounted, dob mounted or tripod mounted. SCT's Mak's all can perform well or poorly ......depending on execution.

                        Neil Carroll

                        I've seen several "minimalist" scopes on various web pages
                        over the past year and am curious about a few things.

                        To the eye, they look as if they are fairly lightweight. How stable
                        are they? In a wind? Im assuming that you use a light shroud
                        since there is no baffles,etc, right? Finally, Since the upper
                        assembly is very minimalist and ( once again, just looking at the
                        pics) appears rather lightweight, can it handle the heavier Nagler
                        eyepieces without causing sagging? How does a Nagler affect
                        balance? I think these are intriguing designs, by not sure how
                        they actually perform.

                        Thanks!

                        Mark

                        > > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "szsherm" <shneor@d...>
                        wrote:
                        > > > I've uploaded a photo of my new 22" all-metal and glass
                        dob, shown
                        > > > stowed in the back of a Mazxda 323 hatchback, and set up
                        at IHOP
                        > > (Ice
                        > > > House Observaion Plateau, California). The drive system is
                        not yet
                        > > > installed, so I'm using it with an Osypowsky platform in the
                        > > meantime.
                        > > > Scope built by Bruce Sayre (www.foothill.net/~sayre).
                        > > >
                        > > > IMHO, this is a revolutionary dssign.
                        > > >
                        > > > Clear skies,