Re: DSP imagers

  • rabradman
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2002
      --- In bigdob@y..., "primefocuser" <jhoey@q...> wrote:
      > I looked on that site and found night vision systems but nothing to
      > plug into the focuser of a scope. I'm curious if anyone has
      > experience with the I Cubed product from Collins Electro Optics
      > ( www.ceoptics.com ).
      >
      > --John

      John,

      You want to talk to the guy who owns Highpoint Scientific ( used to
      work at Pocono Mtn Optics). He has one and I believe has used it in
      his 24" scope. When I was at the laurel highlands star cruise
      (pittsburg club's event), he (?John) had it attached to a 50mm camera
      lense and we used it to sweep the milky way. In that mode it brings
      out the dark lanes and glow of the milky way. But it destroys your
      night vision! (Leaving his scope i walked into a pole!) i forgot to
      ask him to put it into the focuser of the 24". other issues (ala Ed
      Ting) are that it has a small FOV and that it destroys your night
      vision so it may be hard to locate other objects with the telrad.

      /rodger blake

      BTW I have a Stellacam EX that i use with my 10" and get fair
      results. i have images posted on the Videoastro yahoo group. I have
      done only limited imaging with the 20" as the FOV of the chip is
      small (saw 6x9 arc min). So having a equatorial mount with slo motion
      controls in both axes is a nice feature. I don't have this on the
      platform for the 10" and it is a pain to center things on the chip
      with my 10" dob as its motions are stiff.

      my VA page:
      http://home.adelphia.net/~rabradman/vapage.html

      /rb
    • Louis Halikman
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2002
        Please let me know how the image looks -- I'm
        contemplating buying one.

        Where are you located? I'm in Owings Mills, MD, and
        moving soon to a darker sky location in Monkton.
        Reply by private email or on group. LSH

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • davidkone
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2002
          I finally got my Deep Sky Digital Video camera out! Took out my 10"
          dob Orion XT10, turned on the DOB Driver II - told it to goto m15.
          It was a faint fuzzy in the Nagler 13mm T6, and just a bigger fuzzy
          in my 7mm UO ortho. I put the Deep sky video camera in told it to
          stack 128 frames (max it will do on its own without PC software).
          M15 was a spender of little white dots consuming about 30% of the TV
          screen! Its amazing. I'm sitting betwen Washington and Baltimore
          with my front porch lights on getting images as if I were looking
          through my 25" at a dark sky site. The Video image is a tad fuzzy
          close up as is a Video tape on a big screen TV, but when you look at
          it from a reasonable distance its quite good.

          More to come, I'm tired!

        • davidkone
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2002
            I put 3 pictures up under the folder "Deep Sky Pro in XT10". This
            is one frame from a VCR tape recorded using the composite RCA cable,
            keep this in mind when viewing the pictures.

            David
          • Louis Halikman
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2002
              This I gotta see!!! Lou