Re: favorite mirror cells?

  • gnowellsct
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
      Well John I'm merciless on sloppy composition when grading papers but
      in the "great wide world" I'm very lenient. I guess the reason is
      that I know a lot of people who are at home in machine shops and with
      gadgets who have always struggled with composition, and in some ways
      the newfangled resources don't help, some editors will switch "star
      test" to "start test" or fail to perceive the typo, etc., and all the
      possibilities offered in the correction menu may overwhelm someone who
      was never that comfortable with writing to begin with.

      But on the whole, you're right, I feel safer with an outfit that
      "seems on the ball," with regard to all the fine details. I would
      rather be ripped off, in the end, by someone who can spell than
      someone who can't (which is a general principle, with no bearing on
      the integrity of the personalities under discussion). But astronomy
      has a lot of one man shops and someone on a shoe string can't always
      hire an editor.

      Still, yes, someone should tell the guy, gently, this is not up to snuff.

      regards
      Greg N

      --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

      > I know everything on the web is under construction, but if it gets
      too sloppy
      > some customers will question if he knows what he's doing.
      >
      > -John
      >

      > --- Michelle Stone <litebkt@...> wrote:
      >
      > > He needs to flesh out his website! Tell him that. It would be
      swell if he
      > > could put up some pricing as well.
      > >
      > > Michelle

    • Michelle Stone
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
        No kidding Greg.... when I buy a piece of machined equipment, I want a guy
        that's good with machining!

        I had experience last year with a machinest that couldn't spell or machine!
        Quite frankly, I don't have a clue how he managed to produce an income due
        to his shoddy work.

        However, I've seen this Nate's work at OSP and it was top notch.

        Michelle

        On 6/7/07, gnowellsct <tim71pos@...> wrote:

        > Well John I'm merciless on sloppy composition when grading papers but
        > in the "great wide world" I'm very lenient. I guess the reason is
        > that I know a lot of people who are at home in machine shops and with
        > gadgets who have always struggled with composition, and in some ways
        > the newfangled resources don't help, some editors will switch "star
        > test" to "start test" or fail to perceive the typo, etc., and all the
        > possibilities offered in the correction menu may overwhelm someone who
        > was never that comfortable with writing to begin with.
        >
        > But on the whole, you're right, I feel safer with an outfit that
        > "seems on the ball," with regard to all the fine details. I would
        > rather be ripped off, in the end, by someone who can spell than
        > someone who can't (which is a general principle, with no bearing on
        > the integrity of the personalities under discussion). But astronomy
        > has a lot of one man shops and someone on a shoe string can't always
        > hire an editor.
        >
        > Still, yes, someone should tell the guy, gently, this is not up to snuff.
        >
        > regards
        > Greg N
        >
        > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com <bigdob%40yahoogroups.com>, John Mahony
        > <jmmahony@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I know everything on the web is under construction, but if it gets
        > too sloppy
        > > some customers will question if he knows what he's doing.
        > >
        > > -John
        > >

        > > --- Michelle Stone <litebkt@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > He needs to flesh out his website! Tell him that. It would be
        > swell if he
        > > > could put up some pricing as well.
        > > >
        > > > Michelle

      • John Mahony
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
          --- Michelle Stone <litebkt@...> wrote:

          > I had experience last year with a machinest that couldn't spell...

          "machinest"? That's something that's more "machin" than anything else?
          I just had a discussion on another group about the frequently encountered
          non-existent word "hobbiest".

          (And it should be "machinist _who_", not "machinist that").

          -John

          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
        • Howard Banich
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
            Hi Greg,

            I know Nate and he's definitely someone you can trust to not only do top
            notch work but to deliver on time - he makes the mirror cells and tube
            clamps for Tom Osypowski's Spica Eyes scopes. I bought Alucobond from him
            and use his tube clamps and filter wheel on my 28" f4.

            I don't know if he's putting up his website himself or has someone else
            doing it for him, but I'm sure he'll flesh it out soon and correct typos
            along the way. In the meantime, I'm sure he'd be happy to get a nice emial
            from either you or Michelle at nathan@... !

            Howard

            On 6/7/07, gnowellsct <tim71pos@...> wrote:

            > Well John I'm merciless on sloppy composition when grading papers but
            > in the "great wide world" I'm very lenient. I guess the reason is
            > that I know a lot of people who are at home in machine shops and with
            > gadgets who have always struggled with composition, and in some ways
            > the newfangled resources don't help, some editors will switch "star
            > test" to "start test" or fail to perceive the typo, etc., and all the
            > possibilities offered in the correction menu may overwhelm someone who
            > was never that comfortable with writing to begin with.
            >
            > But on the whole, you're right, I feel safer with an outfit that
            > "seems on the ball," with regard to all the fine details. I would
            > rather be ripped off, in the end, by someone who can spell than
            > someone who can't (which is a general principle, with no bearing on
            > the integrity of the personalities under discussion). But astronomy
            > has a lot of one man shops and someone on a shoe string can't always
            > hire an editor.
            >
            > Still, yes, someone should tell the guy, gently, this is not up to snuff.
            >
            > regards
            > Greg N
            >
            > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com <bigdob%40yahoogroups.com>, John Mahony
            > <jmmahony@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I know everything on the web is under construction, but if it gets
            > too sloppy
            > > some customers will question if he knows what he's doing.
            > >
            > > -John
            > >

            > > --- Michelle Stone <litebkt@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > He needs to flesh out his website! Tell him that. It would be
            > swell if he
            > > > could put up some pricing as well.
            > > >
            > > > Michelle

          • gnowellsct
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
              Well if he's a good machinist I think he is adding positive value to
              "God's green earth" and I'm willing to give him a pass on the syntax
              and spelling. But that's just me. Nonetheless, John is right, he's
              undoubtedly in the biz of making money and for $100 he probably could
              get local teacher to clean up his web site which would help him be
              more presentable and make more money. With additional effort he
              probably could address some of the issues about pricing and other
              information. The thing of it is, if someone has difficulty writing he
              might not communicate all that he has to offer. regards Greg N

              --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Banich" <hbanich@...> wrote:

              > Hi Greg,
              >
              > I know Nate and he's definitely someone you can trust to not only do top
              > notch work but to deliver on time - he makes the mirror cells and tube
              > clamps for Tom Osypowski's Spica Eyes scopes. I bought Alucobond
              from him
              > and use his tube clamps and filter wheel on my 28" f4.
              >
              > I don't know if he's putting up his website himself or has someone else
              > doing it for him, but I'm sure he'll flesh it out soon and correct typos
              > along the way. In the meantime, I'm sure he'd be happy to get a nice
              emial
              > from either you or Michelle at nathan@... !
              >
              > Howard
              >

              > On 6/7/07, gnowellsct <tim71pos@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well John I'm merciless on sloppy composition when grading
              papers but
              > > in the "great wide world" I'm very lenient. I guess the reason is
              > > that I know a lot of people who are at home in machine shops and with
              > > gadgets who have always struggled with composition, and in some ways
              > > the newfangled resources don't help, some editors will switch "star
              > > test" to "start test" or fail to perceive the typo, etc., and all the
              > > possibilities offered in the correction menu may overwhelm someone who
              > > was never that comfortable with writing to begin with.
              > >
              > > But on the whole, you're right, I feel safer with an outfit that
              > > "seems on the ball," with regard to all the fine details. I would
              > > rather be ripped off, in the end, by someone who can spell than
              > > someone who can't (which is a general principle, with no bearing on
              > > the integrity of the personalities under discussion). But astronomy
              > > has a lot of one man shops and someone on a shoe string can't always
              > > hire an editor.
              > >
              > > Still, yes, someone should tell the guy, gently, this is not up to
              snuff.

              > > regards
              > > Greg N
              > >
              > > --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com <bigdob%40yahoogroups.com>, John Mahony
              > > <jmmahony@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I know everything on the web is under construction, but if it gets
              > > too sloppy
              > > > some customers will question if he knows what he's doing.
              > > >
              > > > -John

              > > swell if he

            • vid1900
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                --- In bigdob@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@...> wrote:

                > I'm getting lazy in my old age and am building a truss dob from
                > components mostly. I'm curiosu as to what is a favorite commercial
                > mirror cell that folks like? I'm thinking of something for a 14.5-16"
                > f/4.3 mirror, 1.6" thick.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Rob

                To get back to your question, there is Starsplitter:

                http://www.starsplitter.com/index1.html

                Webster Telescopes:

                http://webstertelescopes.com/atm_mirror_cell.htm

                Astrosystems: