Re: [bigdob] maybe off topic homemade mirror issue

  • Stephen Koehler
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24 11:36 AM
      Louis,

      > I made a 8 inch f5.7 mirror and i have build the ota now i just need
      > to put a dot/small circle on my mirror. How the heck do i do this and
      > be accurate ? please any procedures that you do will be fine ..any and
      > all types of procedures welcome..I dont car just as long as it works
      > and does not damage the mirror..thanks for all your help......Lou

      There are many ways of doing this. One simple method is to cut out a
      paper circle the diameter of your mirror. Fold it in half on two
      different diameters to find the center point. Punch a small hole
      there, then use the paper as a template to mark the center of the
      mirror using a filt-tip pen.

      People use many things for the center mark. Some reasonable choices
      are a square of electrical tape or a hole reinforcing ring. If you
      use a laser for collimation, you will need to use a ring, so that the
      center of the mirror remains reflective.

      No matter what you use, it won't affect the mirror optically, because
      the center dot is in the shadow of the secondary on a Newtonian.

      --
      Steve Koehler
    • Rick M
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24 11:42 AM
        Take a piece of paper, set your mirror on it and trace
        around it, cut the circle out, fold it in half then
        fold in half again, cut a small piece off the pointed
        end, open it up, place on mirror the hole is the
        center of your mirror, mark as you desire,
        I just used a permanent marker.

        Rick M
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllAstronomyAllTheTime/

        my astronomy & a.t.m. site
        http://www.geocities.com/optical_stargazer

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • buck8one2
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24 11:56 AM
          I've used the thin white tissue paper used for wrapping. The white
          paper that usually comes inside Xmas presents such as clothing works
          great for this. It is realitivly lint free, does not scratch easily,
          doesn't stretch and can be folded to a fine point so when you cut
          off the point you get a nice small 1/16" dia. hole. It can be had at
          almost any store that sells boxes and wrapping for presents.
          Buck