  • Jim
    Message 1 of 93 , Jun 3, 2013
      Good Morning, everyone!

      Dr. Bob's Nightmare is the first of the personal stories on page 171.

      Page 165 is interesting however. This is the Section heading "Personal Stories -
      How Forty-Three Alcoholics Recovered From Their Malady" (Emphasis is mine). Not
      a typo.

      Page 172 - Paragraph 1 - Bob attributes "selfishness" as playing an
      important part in "bringing on my alcoholism". In the next paragraph
      we can see his antipathy towards the church. Reading through page
      173, we see that he is in trouble early on with drinking. Change of
      scenery didn't help. At the bottom of page 174, he began to go to
      sanitariums voluntarily to dry out. This was before Prohibition
      (1920), and he still had many more years of drinking ahead of him.

      On pages 176 and 177, his drinking was out of control and all of the
      classic symptoms were there: hiding bottles, others recognizing his
      drinking as a problem, hoarding alcohol, social life deteriorating,
      switching drinks (the Beer Experiment), etc. On page 178, he falls
      in with "...a crowd of people who attracted me because of their
      seeming poise, health and happiness." (About 1933) That crowd was
      The Oxford Group, although Dr. Bob had not connected this group of
      people with any solution of his drinking problem. He drank and spent
      time with the Oxford Groups for the next two and a half years.

      In paragraph 1, the lady who called Bob was Henrietta Sieberling (of
      the rubber tire manufacturing empire) and the friend was Bill
      Wilson. The first meeting between Bill and Bob was about 6 hours
      longer than the fifteen minutes Bob was initially willing to give to
      Bill.

      Bob did get drunk again 3 weeks later at the AMA convention. Bill
      worked with him again and the founding of our society dates from
      June 10, 1935* the date of Dr. Bob's last drink.

      The end of paragraph two says alot of the power of one alcoholic
      talking with another - "Of far more importance was the fact that he
      was the first living human with whom I had ever talked, who knew
      what he was talking about in regard to alcoholism from actual
      experience. In other words, be talked my language. He knew all the
      answers, and certainly not because he had picked them up in his
      reading." The barrier had been breached!

      "Passing it on" was important to Bob - the last paragraph on page
      180 and continuing on to the top of the following page. "I spend a
      great deal of time passing on what I learned to others who want and
      need it badly. I do it for four reasons:

      1. Sense of duty.
      2. It is a pleasure.
      3. Because in so doing I am paying my debt to the man who took time
      to pass it on to me.
      4. Because every time I do it I take out a little more insurance for
      myself against a possible slip."

      The ending of his story boils down to the essence of how important
      an open mind is in order to accept what we have to offer. The
      assumption is that the motivation to seek sobriety is in place, that
      we are ready to listen to conviction as only the dying can be:

      "If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have
      any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting
      what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you
      are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But
      if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and
      all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that
      we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one
      half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when getting
      another drink.

      "Your Heavenly Father will never let you down!"

      * - An interesting historical note: Because the AMA Convention in
      Atlantic City began on June 10, 1935 there is the real possibility,
      according to some researchers, that Dr. Bob got sober on June 17,
      1935. Not that it really matters all that much...

      Here is something that many find useful. It is the plaque that sat on Dr. Bob's
      Desk:

      Humility

      "Perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be
      fretted or vexed, irritable or sore; to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to
      feel nothing done against me.

      "It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or
      despised, it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the
      door and pray to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of
      calmness, when all around and about is seeming trouble.

      We'll begin again with the guidelines and follow with the first post
      of the new cycle with our next post.

      Thanks to everyone who has participated in this cycle. Pass on the
      link to this group:

      http://group.yahoo.com/group/bigbookmeeting

      so that your other friends may share in what you have found.

      Jim

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:
      Message 93 of 93 , Mar 16

        Good morning everyone!

        <No Post tomorrow while Paige and I travel to East Dorset, Vermont to The Wilson House for the retreat>

[...]

        Henrietta Seiberling

        .

[...]

        Here is something that some have found helpful - it is the text from a plaque that sat on Dr. Bob's Desk:

        Humility

        HUMILITY is perpetual quietness of heart.

        It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, irritable or sore; to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me.

        It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised, it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and about is seeming trouble.

        Next, our “Lost Chapter” post followed by the first post of the new cycle.

        Thanks to everyone who has participated in this cycle.

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/