  • Jim
    Message 1 of 83 , May 13, 2013
      <Sorry to have missed on Friday, my apologies>

      Welcome back everyone!

      Let's read through starting from the bottom of page 76 and on to the
      top of page 77. Here is where we find out what our purpose is: "Our
      real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and
      the people about us." [Let's all remember this the next time we
      hear someone say, "I have no idea what God's will for me is!"] In
      order to be of service we must free ourselves of the past. The
      process of steps 4 through 9 accomplishes this task if we are
      thorough.

      In paragraph 1 on page 77 we find out the painfully obvious: "It is
      harder to go to an enemy than to a friend, but we find it more
      beneficial to us." In the following paragraph we get definite
      instruction on what we are to do in the process of making
      amends: "Under no condition do we criticize such a person or
      argue. Simply tell him that we will never get over drinking until
      we have done our utmost to straighten out the past." "Our utmost"
      means we do everything we possibly can. "We are there to sweep off
      our side of the street, realizing nothing worthwhile can be
      accomplished until we do so..." We are there to talk about our
      transgressions, regardless of how this person may have wronged us.

      Paragraph 2 on page 78 gives us some direction regarding our
      creditors. "Most alcoholics owe money. We do not dodge our
      creditors." That means we answer the phone when they call. We
      respond to demands for payment and work out a payment plan. Of
      course drunks want to save up the cash and pay it all at once, but
      that never seems to work with us. Even if we commit to $20 per week
      or some other means of payment, over time we meet our obligations.
      If we are avoiding phone calls or not opening the mail, we cannot do
      God's will, can we? Having paid my way out of the financial "black
      hole" myself I can tell you it is worth the effort.

      From paragraph 3 on page 78 through page 82, there are several
      mentions of caution when making amends. Criminal offenses are
      covered on page 78 to 79. A prayer for the 9th Step appears on page
      79 in the first paragraph: "...we ask (God) that we be given
      strength and direction to do the right thing, no matter
      what the personal consequences may be." The paragraph finishes
      with, "We must not shrink at anything." It's a funny thing, once we
      have faced all these people and institutions, we fear life less. We
      find out the what we feared most was what resided within us, and
      through this process we vanquish this fear.

      Another caution -- the involvement of others. In paragraph 2 on
      page 79, we read that we must be sure to account for the effect of
      our amends on others. A sponsor helps tremendously here, helping us
      to see things we fail to see at first glance.

      Turning to page 80 a definition of "amends" is buried in the text.
      Let's look at paragraph 3: "He felt he had done a wrong he could not
      possibly make right." Looking at that line, we realize that we are
      attempting to "right a serious wrong." Sounds quite a bit more than
      our "I'm sorry I _____________ (fill in the blank)," doesn't it?

      With our next post we'll pick up at the bottom of page 80 where the
      discussion of our domestic situation begins in relation to Step 9.

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit: