  • Jim
    Message 1 of 80 , Apr 19, 2013
      Good morning all!

      We're at Page 30 - Chapter 3, "More (Truth) About Alcoholism". This
      is where we will discuss--in depth--the state of mind that preceeds
      the first drink.

      Let's take the time to examine what "insanity" means in this
      context: less than whole; not necessarily crazy, but rather an
      inability to see the truth in life. "Sanity" on the other hand means
      with a complete or whole mind -- an ability to see the truth in life.

      "No person likes to think that he is bodily or mentally different
      from his fellows." This is a truth most of us had been unwilling to
      accept. Now here is the real insanity: "The idea that somehow,
      someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great
      obsession of every abnormal drinker." This is the great lie that we
      pursue; this is the mental obsession. To accomplish this we try a
      myriad of different formulas with the same result. An inability to
      see the truth in life? - you bet! "The persistence of this illusion
      (untruth) is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity
      or death."

      Next paragraph - "The delusion (untruth) that we are like other
      people, or presently may be, has to be smashed." Non-alcoholics
      don't break out in handcuffs when they drink. They are able to
      metabolize alcohol where the alcoholic can't.

      On pages 32 to 43, four examples of the state of mind that preceeds
      the first drink will be illustrated. Bill's writing style is one
      where the same point will be made repeatedly to reinforce that
      idea. It is important to note that he is spending an entire chapter
      on Step 2's insanity. It is very important that we understand the
      state of mind that precedes the first drink - the insanity of
      alcoholism.

      Paragraph 2, page 32 - Example #1 is "A Man of Thirty." The points
      Bill brings up are these: "Once he started he had no control
      whatever." Using will power he quit but here was the insane
      idea: "Then he fell victim to the belief which practically every
      alcoholic has - that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline
      had qualified him to drink as other men." This man was dead by
      the next paragraph.

      At paragraph 1 on page 33 Bill utilizes his other literary device -
      he summarizes: (this is the "Pickle theory") ...once an alcoholic,
      always an alcoholic. "Commencing to drink after a period of
      sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning
      to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any
      lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol." You can
      make a pickle out of a cucumber but the process cannot be reversed.

      Page 34, paragraph 2 - Here is the paragraph which discusses the
      efficacy of using willpower to stop drinking. The cunning, baffling
      and powerful nature of our disease usually torpedoes any effort
      based on willpower.

      In our next post, we will start out with the second of the four
      examples "Jim the Car Salesman" and we'll begin on page 35 -
      paragraph 2.

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:
      Message 80 of 80 , Mar 5

        Good morning and welcome back everyone!

        We're at Page 30 - Chapter 3, "More (Truth) About Alcoholism". This is where we will discuss, in depth, the state of mind that precedes the first drink. Let's take the time to examine what "insanity" means in this context: less than whole; not necessarily crazy, but rather an inability to see the truth in life. "Sanity" on the other hand means with a complete or whole mind -- an ability to see the truth in life.

        "No person likes to think that he is bodily or mentally different from his fellows." This is a truth most of us had been unwilling to accept. Now here is the real insanity: "The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker." This is the great lie that we pursue; this is the mental obsession. To accomplish this we try a myriad of different formulas with the same result. An inability to see the truth in life? - you bet! "The persistence of this illusion(untruth) is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death." Next paragraph -"The delusion (untruth)that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed." Non-alcoholics don't break out in handcuffs when they drink. They are able to metabolize alcohol where the alcoholic is unable.

        On pages 32 to 43, four examples of the state of mind that precedes the first drink will be illustrated. Bill's writing style is one where the same point will be made repeatedly to reinforce that idea. It is important to note that he is spending an entire chapter on Step 2's insanity. It is very important that we understand the state of mind that precedes the first drink - the insanity of alcoholism.

[...]

        Friend me on Facebook. Search for "Sotto Voice"