  • Jim
    Message 1 of 95 , Dec 3, 2012
      Good morning everyone!

      Let's turn to page xi, the Preface to the Third Edition, and look at
      paragraph #2. This book is identified as "the basic text for our
      Society." A basic text is a book which can convey knowledge – in
      other words, a text book.

      Turn to page xiii, the Foreword to the First Edition. The first
      paragraph is where we want to draw our attention. Bill realized that
      there is strength in the collective voice. Hence, "... are more than
      one hundred men and women who have recovered..." (There's that word
      "recovered" again!) The fact of the matter is that we are more likely
      to listen to one hundred than to just a single voice.

      "To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the
      main purpose of this book." A powerful statement! Note that the
      capitalized words in the sentence above were capitalized in the
      first edition of the book. Subsequent editions italicized these
      words.

      This is where I usually share my story about my Aunt Pat's strawberry
      shortcake. (She passed on to the next dimension on January 9, 2012 but lives on
      here). It goes something like this:

      "My Aunt Pat makes a wonderful strawberry shortcake. I look forward
      to it every time I see her out in Newton, New Jersey. After years of
      visits I finally asked her for the recipe which she gladly gives to
      me. I went home, followed the directions as they were written and
      viola! the strawberry shortcake I have always loved!

      "Then my ego gets involved. I think a little more sugar in the
      whipped cream would improve it. Maybe frozen strawberries. Or let's
      use Cool Whip instead of real whipped cream. I make the cake using
      my version and it isn't as good, in fact I am disappointed."

      The Big Book shows us a specific recipe for sobriety and, if we
      follow it carefully, we will get all the benefits of The AA Program.
      If we change the recipe we will get something else and we will be
      greatly disappointed.

      With our next post we will go to page xv - the Foreword to the
      Second Edition. Thanks again, and don't forget to pass it on!

      Weekend Retreats with Jim - email:
      jknyc@...
      Message 95 of 95 , Feb 20
[...]

        Weekend Studies of "The Sermon on the Mount" by Emmet Fox with Jim - visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sermon-on-the-Mount
        Friend me on Facebook - Search for "Sotto Voice"