  • Jim
    Message 1 of 89 , May 2, 2012
      Good Morning Everyone!

      Appendix II - "The Spiritual Experience" is found on page 567.

      "The terms "spiritual experience" and "spiritual awakening" are used
      many times in this book which, upon careful reading, shows that the
      personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from
      alcoholism has manifested itself among us in many different forms.

      "Yet it is true that our first printing gave many readers the
      impression that these personality changes, or religious experiences,
      must be in the nature of sudden and spectacular upheavals. Happily
      for everyone, this conclusion is erroneous."

      This appendix was added after the first printing of the first
      edition of the book. There was significant confusion regarding the
      transformation that Bill experienced and the rest of the main text
      of the book. This appendix was added to clear some of the confusion.
      Alot of people were expecting the "white light experience" of the
      nature of what Bill had on December 11, 1934 at Towns Hospital. Here
      it goes on to explain that the "educational variety" was no less
      important or vital.

      The real gems here are the reinforcement of "change" as the central
      theme of the experience. The following four terms mean essentially
      the same thing:

      -Spiritual Experience
      -Spiritual Awakening
      -Personality Change
      -Psychic Change

      What we'll do here is identify how many times "change" or a synonym
      of "change" appears in the text, it may surprise you!

      -Paragraph 1 - "personality change..."

      -Paragraph 2 - "personality changes..., spectacular upheavals."

      -Paragraph 3 - "revolutionary changes..., immediate and overwhelming
      'God-consciousness'..., a vast change in feeling and outlook."

      -Paragraph 4 - "transformations,... the difference...a profound
      alteration in his reaction to life."

      So, let's see, that's eight "changes" on a single page. I guess they
      have made a point - we have to change the people we bring to AA. Not
      drinking and going to meetings is not enough. Through the 12 Steps
      we have the transformation, in the guise of a spiritual awakening or
      experience or psychic change, etc., that is "...THE result of these
      steps..." (from Step 12-emphasis added).

      With our next post we'll go further - Chapter 5 - How It Works
      (Not "how it happens" or "how we get it through osmosis"...).

      Have a nice day!

      Jim

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit: