  • Jim
    Message 1 of 92 , Dec 1, 2011
      Good Morning everyone!

      We're at page 128 of Chapter 9 - "The Family Afterward." The reading
      from here through the bottom of page 130 centers on, for lack of a
      better term, spiritual infancy. It's that period of time that many
      of us experience where we believe that we have found an oasis in the
      desert of an alcoholic life. It's roots may be in the spiritual
      experience, or simple and overwhelming gratitude. What this reading
      reveals is that, no matter what the circumstance, imbalance in life
      is not sustainable. Although the pendulum has swung from active
      alcoholism to over-zealousness in the spiritual realm what will
      happen, given time, is that we will become centered. Here our
      families are asked to allow us that period of time to become
      centered, to put our AA service work and spiritual lives into proper
      perspective with all of the other segments of our lives: work,
      family, home, service, etc. Step 10 is the primary tool to
      accomplish this desired result.

      Beginning at the bottom of page 130 and reading through to the top
      of page 133 the text discusses family life, taking inventory within
      our families and developing a new attitude toward the alcoholic
      member. This is rooted in our new attitude as recovered alcoholics.
      Paragraph 2 on page 132: "Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we
      burst into merriment over seemingly tragic experience out of the
      past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been
      given the power to help others." Continuing on to the following
      paragraph - "So let each family play together or separately, as much
      as their circumstances warrant. We are sure God wants us to be
      Happy, Joyous, and Free." Sounds like we get a glimpse of what God's
      will is for us. If we are careful when reading the Big Book we will
      find that much of God's will is revealed to us. It may be general in
      nature but it is there. If we're not "Happy, Joyous, and Free" we
      may be missing something in our spiritual lives.

      The remainder of this chapter deals with the relationship of the
      alcoholic to his family, his health and sex relations. It tells us
      not to be shy about consulting physicians for they are here to help.
      On page 135 there is a telling sentence - paragraph 1: "Seeing is
      believing to most families who have lived with a drinker." Our
      actions are far more revealing than our words, especially at home.

      And, of course, the first three slogans:

      First Things First
      Live and Let Live
      Easy Does It

      Have a great day everyone!

      Jim

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:
      Message 92 of 92 , Jul 19

        Good morning everyone!

[...]

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/