  • Jim
    Message 1 of 98 , Sep 1, 2011
      Good morning everyone!

      ***Here's a good exercise for Chapter 4. Read through and count how
      many times the word "prejudice" in it's various forms appears. Also
      count synonyms such as "preconceived ideas" etc. You'll be surprised
      to see how often we are asked to lay aside prejudice against
      spiritual concepts in this chapter.***

      We are at page 46. The first full paragraph here speaks of
      openmindedness: "Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these
      thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We found
      that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even
      a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we
      commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of
      us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God."

      Reading through to the top of page 47, we see the important idea
      expressed again:

      "When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception
      of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you
      find in this book. Do not let any prejudice you may have against
      spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they
      mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed to commence
      spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as
      we understood Him. Afterward, we found ourselves accepting many
      things
      which then seemed entirely out of reach. That was growth, but if we
      wished to grow we had to begin somewhere. So we used our own
      conception, however limited it was."

      In paragraph 2, we find another reference to the spiritual structure
      we are building:

      "It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple
      cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be
      built."

      The "cornerstone" is belief, and on page 12 we found that "complete
      willingness" is our foundation. All that is important will rest on
      the
      foundation and the entire structure is squared up from this
      cornerstone. More elements of this spiritual structure will be
      revealed throughout the text.

      In the following paragraph we see that belief comes before
      faith: "That was great news to us, for we had assumed we could not
      make use of spiritual principles unless we accepted many things on
      faith (indicating knowledge) which seemed difficult to believe."

      So we begin with a belief, and it is through the knowledge that
      supports this belief that we begin to have faith.

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:
      Message 98 of 98 , Oct 25

        Good morning!

[...]

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com
        Let Jim lead your group retreat. Growing your understanding of spiritual topics including in-depth studies of AA's basic text - the Big Book; Emmet Fox's "The Sermon ...

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/

        www.wilsonhouse.org
        Tax-exempt, non-profit organization offering tours, dining or nightly stays at the historic home of Bill Wilson, founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.