  • sottovoice
    Message 1 of 4669 , Sep 1, 2000
      Turning our books to Page 25-<br><br>Lets look at
      paragraph 2 - "The great fact is just this, and nothing
      less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual
      experiences* which have revolutionized (Changed) our whole
      attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's
      universe. The central fact of our lives today is the
      absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our
      hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He
      has commenced to accomplish those things for us which
      we could never do by ourselves." This is the
      solution and this is what the solution has done - we have
      changed our entire outlook. The asterisk refers us to
      Appendix II which was added to the book after the first
      printing of the first edition to clarify the spiritual
      experience. The text goes on - paragraph 2 "If you are as
      seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe that there is no
      middle of the road solution. We were in a position where
      life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed
      into the region from which there is no return through
      human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go
      on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness
      of our intolerable situation as best we could; and
      the other, to accept spiritual help. This we did
      because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make
      the effort". So, will meetings everyday suffice?
      Therapy? Calling a sponsor everyday? Aromatherapy?
      Probably not.<br><br>Page 26 paragraph 1 - The certain
      American business man was Roland Hazzard. He worked with
      Dr. Carl Jung for an entire year. (It's interesting
      to note that Carl Jung was Roland's third choice -
      Sigmund Freud was too busy and Eric Adler was too sick to
      work with him). Jung tells him he is hopeless,
      paragraph 3, but the doctor also knows what he needs - see
      paragraph 3 on page 27 - "here and there, once in a while,
      alcoholics have had what are called vital spiritual
      experiences...They appear to be in the nature of huge emotional
      displacements and rearrangements (Change). Ideas, emotions, and
      attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives
      of these men were suddenly cast to one side, and a
      completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to
      dominate them". Another description of the spiritual
      awakening from Dr. Carl Jung with change being the overall
      theme. <br><br>So, this chapter was aptly named "There
      is a Solution" and it has been hammered home to us
      that the solution is change. And that change is the
      spiritual awakening. Go to the top of page 60 for a minute
      - "12. Having had a spiritual awakening as THE
      result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to
      alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our
      affairs" (Emphasis on THE is mine). The solution is a
      spiritual awakening (see Chapter 2), the result of these
      steps is a spiritual awakening (Step 12), so the steps
      are the solution! It's simple, it really
      is.<br><br>I'll be away in the Boston, MA area this Labor Day
      weekend so on Tuesday we will begin with Chapter 3 "More
      About Alcoholism" on page 30.<br><br>Have a fun and
      enjoyable holiday weekend everyone!<br><br>Jim
      Message 4669 of 4669 , Jan 13
        Good morning!

        We can gain some insight into the writing of the book through an examination of the original text (pre-publication "Multilith") in conjunction with the text as printed in the first edition.

        Keep in mind, there were more or less two camps within AA at the time Bill wrote the book. The Akron/Cleveland camp was Bible based and religious in nature; the New York bunch was more psychological using a mental approach to gain the confidence of the newcomer and then hitting him with the spiritual angle. Sounds like a difficult task to write a book that would satisfy both trains of thought.

        Most of the changes involved inserting "we" for "you" and making the text more inclusive and less like a sermon. Other changes involved key words that were inserted to change the basic meaning of the phrases.

        Today and in our next post, we will go through the first three pages of Chapter 5 to illustrate how the book was transformed by these changes. The words that were replaced will appear in [brackets] following the words or phrases by which they were replaced.

        Page 58:

        Paragraph 1 - "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path[directions]."
        "They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living [way of life] which demands rigorous honesty."

        Paragraph 2 - "If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps[follow directions]."

        Paragraph 3 -"At some of these we balked [you may balk]. We thought [You may think] we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not [We doubt you can]."

        Paragraph 4 - "Remember we deal [you are dealing] with alcohol - cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us [you]. But there is One who has all power - that One is God. May you [You must]
        find Him now!"

        We'll continue with paragraph 1 on page 59 and into the original written text of the 12 Steps with our next post.

        Our next retreat - "A Weekend with Jim & Paige - Letting Go of Old Ideas" - March 2015 at The Wilson House - email for details - jknyc@...