  • sottovoice
    Message 1 of 80 , Sep 1, 2009
      [A big "Thanks!" to Karen for running the study as I got some R&R last week!]

      Welcome everyone to the newest cycle of our Big Book Study! We'll be
      examining the book very closely throughout the coming weeks. It is
      important to note that we will examine this book from the standpoint
      of a textbook.

      I always like to note at this juncture that the title page has the
      following subtitle:

      "The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from
      Alcoholism"

      Yes - Recovered! Now that usually opens a seething couldron of
      debate ie: "Recovering" vs. "Recovered". The reason I bring this up
      here is it is important to note that lasting recovery--i.e., having
      recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body--is the result of
      what our book presents. Whether one calls him/herself a recovered or
      recovering alcoholic is of no consequence in this study. We will
      limit our discussion to the text. That debate rages on at from time
      to time at:

      (That is, if you care to get involved in it.)

      Turning the page to Roman Numeral v, the Table of Contents, let's
      see how the book was laid out. Bill was an educated and intelligent
      man. He was taught to avoid repeating himself. However, he knew that
      he would have to make the same point repeatedly, but in several
      different ways, in order to get the point across. The format of our
      book is very much like that of a textbook in this way.

      The Doctor's Opinion and Bill's Story identify what the problem is:
      Powerlessness, and they cover Step 1. The Doctor's Opinion, written
      by Dr. Willam D. Silkworth, the doctor who treated Bill at Towns
      Hospital (293 Central Park West at 89th Street in Manhattan) was a
      part of the main text in the first edition of the book. It was put
      into the Roman Numerals in the second edition on the advice of
      literary experts of the time. (And, unfortunately, who reads those
      Roman Numerals anyway!?!) The letter he provided was unsigned at the
      time of the first edition as well. Dr. Silkworth was concerned about
      his medical standing back when the book was being written--the ideas
      were so radical at the time that he was concerned about being
      ridiculed and ostracized about his ideas on alcoholism.

      Chapters 2, 3, and 4 identify The Solution, that we need Power and
      cover Step 2.

      Chapters 5, 6, and 7 identify the Necessary Actions to find that
      Power and go into the detail of Steps 3 thru 12.

      With our next post, we will begin on Roman Numeral xi - The
      Preface to the Third edition.

      Please e-mail any questions to me at jknyc@... or you can
      reach Karen at honey_dot_com@.... Please pass it on so that
      others may enjoy what you have found!

      Jim

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:

      For a weekly chuckle visit:
      Message 80 of 80 , Oct 6 4:46 AM

        Good morning everyone!

        Welcome everyone to the newest cycle of our Big Book Study! We'll be examining the book very closely throughout the coming weeks. It is important to note that we will examine this book from the standpoint of a textbook.

        I always like to note at this juncture that the title page has the following subtitle:

        "The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism"

        Yes -Recovered! Now that usually opens a seething cauldron of debate ie: "Recovering" vs. "Recovered". The reason I bring this up here is it is important to note that lasting recovery--i.e., having recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body--is the result of what our book presents. Whether one calls him/herself a recovered or recovering alcoholic is of no consequence in this study. We will limit our discussion to the text. That debate rages on at from time to time at:

[...]

        jknyc@... . Please pass it on so that others may enjoy what you have found!

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/