  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 80 , May 1, 2009
      Good Mornin' all!

      Chapter 10 - To Employers begins on page 136. This chapter was
      written by Hank Parkhurst. Hank was one of the early New York
      members and a business partner of Bill's - they were in the business
      of forming a service station buying cooperative and selling auto
      parts through the Honest Dealers Association. Hank was also an
      officer in "Works Publishing," the entity formed to publish the Big
      Book. In April of 1940 Hank got drunk which was to be a source of
      great difficulty since he controlled a significant amount of stock
      in Works Publishing.

      The reading from pages 136 to 140 centers on the loss of capable
      employees. The point is also made that it can be difficult to make
      employers understand the nature of the malady. Page 138 at the end
      of paragraph 2: "The only answer I could make was that if the man
      followed the usual pattern, he would go on a bigger bust than ever.
      I felt this was inevitable and wondered if the bank was doing the
      man an injustice. Why not bring him into contact with some of our
      alcoholic crowd? He might have a chance. I pointed out that I had
      had nothing to drink whatever for three years, and this in the face
      of difficulties that would have made nine out of ten men drink their
      heads off. Why not at least afford him an opportunity to hear my
      story? 'Oh no,' said my friend, 'this chap is either through with
      liquor, or he is minus a job. If he has your willpower and guts, he
      will make the grade'." At the top of page 139 that individual got
      drunk again.

      At the end of page 139 the employers are instructed to look within
      their own organizations and to try to identify those employees who
      are alcoholic. The point is made that there are many talented and
      worthwhile employees who can be helped and can return to usefulness
      if they are given a chance to recover. A generalized approach with
      an employee is discusssed through page 145.

      We'll return to this chapter with our next post, and begin at the
      last paragraph on page 145.

      Jim

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:

      For a weekly chuckle visit:
      Message 80 of 80 , Feb 11
        Good morning everyone!

        Chapter 10 - To Employers begins on page 136. This chapter was written by Hank Parkhurst. Hank was one of the early New York members and a business partner of Bill's - they were in the business of forming a service station buying cooperative and selling auto polish through the Honest Dealers Association. Hank was also an officer in "Works Publishing," the entity formed to publish the Big Book. In April of 1940 Hank got drunk which was to be a source of great difficulty since he controlled a significant amount of stock in Works Publishing.