  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 84 , Jun 2, 2008
      Good morning everyone!

      We're at the top of page 13 -

      Bill went again to Towns Hospital to be separated from alcohol for
      the last time. This is at the beginning of December 1934; he had
      stayed drunk for a month after Armistice Day.

      Bill's sobriety dates from December 11, 1934.

      Paragraph 2 describes Steps 3, 4, 6 & 7:

      "There I humbly offered myself to God, as I then I understood Him, to
      do with me as He would. I placed myself unreservedly under His care
      and direction (3). I admitted for the first time that of myself I was
      nothing; that without Him I was lost. I ruthlessly faced my sins (4)
      and became willing to have my new-found Friend take them away, root
      and branch (6, 7). I have not had a drink since."

      The first sentance of paragraph 3 describes Step 5, and the remainder
      of paragraph 3 describes Steps 8 and 9, (also known as "restitution"
      by the Oxford Groups):

      "My schoolmate [Ebby Thatcher] visited me, and I fully acquainted him
      with my problems and deficiencies (5). We made a list of people I had
      hurt or toward whom I felt resentment (8). I expressed my entire
      willingness to approach these individuals, admitting my wrong. Never
      was I to be critical of them. I was to right all such matters to the
      utmost of my ability (9)." [Remember this sentence when we talk
      about amends in Chapter 6.]

      Paragraph 4 - The first sentance describes Step 10 and the remainder
      of the paragraph goes into Step 11. The last paragraph on this page
      discusses the first part of Step 12:

      "My friend promised that when these things were done, [not by osmosis
      I would guess], I would enter upon a new relationship with my
      Creator; that I would have the elements of a way of living which has
      answered all my problems." That sounds like a Spiritual Awakening,
      doesn't it?

      But don't we want all our problems solved first? It is through that
      spiritual awakening that they are solved.

      Page 14 - Bill's "White Light Experience" in found in paragraph 2.
      One of the reasons that Appendix II -"Spiritual Experience" was added
      to the book was that many people were confused; they thought that
      they had to have the same type of sudden transformation that Bill
      had.

      The concept of "carrying the message" was born with Bill while lying
      in that bed in Towns Hospital (see paragraph 5). The last part of
      Step 12 is described in the following paragraph continuing to the top
      of page 15:

      "My friend [Ebby Thatcher] had emphasized the absolute necessity of
      demonstrating these principles in all my affairs." A bit of step 12
      here! For us, that means not just in the rooms of AA, but everywhere.

      Going on to paragraph 1 on page 15, Bill describes the dangers
      of "...self-pity and resentment. This sometimes nearly drove me back
      to drink, but I soon found that when all other measures failed, work
      with another alcoholic would save the day." Perhaps there is
      something to this "carrying the message" stuff after all!

      Bill went on to work with drunks and barely earning a living. Not
      only was he not making any money, he also had no success in sobering
      up drunks. Lois was working at Macy's. Ebby moved from Rev. Sam
      Shoemaker's Calvary Church mission and in with Bill and Lois at 182
      Clinton St. in Brooklyn at this time.

      It wasn't until May, 1935 (six months later) that Bill had any
      success at all -- he carried the message to Doctor Bob Smith -- aside
      from staying sober himself. More details are available in "AA Comes
      of Age," pages 52-77, which tells Bill's story in greater detail; how
      he met Bob, how they helped Bill Dotson (AA number 3) get sober, and
      the early days of what was to become AA.

      With our next post we will begin Chapter 2 on Page 17: "There is a
      Solution."

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:

      For a weekly chuckle visit:
      Message 84 of 84 , Dec 23, 2014
        Good morning everyone! We're at the top of page 13 -

        Bill went again to Towns Hospital to be separated from alcohol for the last time. This is at the beginning of December 1934; he had stayed drunk for a month after Armistice Day. Bill's sobriety dates from December 11, 1934.

        Paragraph 2 describes Steps 3, 4, 6 & 7:

        "There I humbly offered myself to God, as I then I understood Him, to do with me as He would. I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction (3). I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing; that without Him I was lost. I ruthlessly faced my sins (4) and became willing to have my new-found Friend take them away, root and branch (6, 7). I have not had a drink since."

        The first sentence of paragraph 3 describes Step 5, and the remainder of paragraph 3 describes Steps 8 and 9, (also known as "restitution" by the Oxford Groups):

        "My schoolmate [Ebby Thacher] visited me, and I fully acquainted him with my problems and deficiencies (5). We made a list of people I had hurt or toward whom I felt resentment(8). I expressed my entire willingness to approach these individuals, admitting my wrong. Never was I to be critical of them. I was to right all such matters to the utmost of my ability(9)." [Remember this sentence when we talk about amends in Chapter 6.]

        Paragraph 4 - The first sentence describes Step 10 and the remainder of the paragraph goes into Step 11. The last paragraph on this page discusses the first part of Step 12:

[...]

        "My friend [Ebby Thacher] had emphasized the absolute necessity of demonstrating these principles in all my affairs." A bit of step 12 here! For us, that means not just in the rooms of AA, but everywhere.

[...]

        Friend me on Facebook - search for "Sotto Voice"