  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 87 , Mar 3, 2008
      Good Morning!

      We are at the bottom of page 80. The next several paragraphs,
      through the end of paragraph 1 on page 82, deal with the problems
      associated with sex outside of marriage. This is an especially
      difficult area for alcoholics. If we have been unfaithful we have to
      face up to it, if we continue to be dishonest with ourselves and
      those about us, we are setting ourselves up for failure.

      The last paragraph on this page, and the first on the following
      page, underscore the fact that we have to do more than stay sober in
      order to make effective amends:

      "We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough.
      He is like the farmer who came up out of his cyclone cellar to find
      his home ruined. To his wife, he remarked, "Don't see anything the
      matter here, Ma. Ain't it grand the wind stopped blowin'?

      "Yes, there is a long period of reconstruction ahead. We must take
      the lead. A remorseful mumbling that we are sorry won't fill the
      bill at all."

      Reading through to the last paragraph on page 83, we see that we are
      going to have to take definitive action when taking Step 9,
      particularly with our families.

      Now the promises that everyone likes to talk about:

      "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will
      be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new
      freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to
      shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we
      will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we
      will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of
      uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in
      selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will
      slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
      Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will
      intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
      We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not
      do for ourselves.

      "Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being
      fulfilled among us, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will
      always materialize if we work for them."

      It is important to note where these particular promises are in the
      book - at the end of Step 9.

      At this time we have completed our initial "house cleaning." Once
      complete, we shall receive God's grace. The promises begin to come
      true for us. "If we are painstaking about this phase of our
      development, we will be amazed before we are half way
      through." "This phase" is the Steps 4-9 phase. "The Promises" are
      wonderful and they give us alot of hope, with one caveat: page 84
      paragraph 1 - "They will always materialize if we work for them."
      We don't get them by osmosis. They just don't fall into our lap, we
      have to work for them.

      The whole process of Steps 8 and 9 is geared to prepare us to be of
      service to God and our fellows. When we complete this phase of our
      development we can look the whole world in the eye. This is when we
      can truly live one day at a time.

      With our next post we'll start at paragraph 2 on page 84 and our
      discussion of Step 10 in the book. Stay tuned, we have more promises
      to come.

      Have a wonderful day,

      Jim

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:

      For a weekly chuckle visit:
      Message 87 of 87 , Jan 29
[...]

        "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through." "This phase" is the Steps 4-9 phase. "The Promises" are wonderful and they give us alot of hope, with one caveat: page 84 paragraph 1 -"They will always materialize if we work for them."We don't get them by osmosis. They just don't fall into our lap, we have to work for them.

        The whole process of Steps 8 and 9 is geared to prepare us to be of service to God and our fellows. When we complete this phase of our development we can look the whole world in the eye. This is when we can truly live one day at a time.

        With our next post we'll start at paragraph 2 on page 84 and our discussion of Step 10 in the book. Stay tuned, we have more promises to come.

        Have a wonderful day,

        Jim

        Weekend Studies of The Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox with Jim - visit: