  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 90 , May 1 5:13 AM
      'Morning everyone :)

      We are on page 62, Paragraph 3. Here we find out the position that
      God will occupy in our lives: "This is the how and the why of it.
      First of all, we had to quit playing God. It didn't work. Next, we
      decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be
      our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents." As His agents
      we are to express His will for us - not our own. Not the "bush
      league pinch hitter" we usually used Him as.

      Here's the reference to the spiritual structure: "Most good ideas
      are simple, and this concept was the keystone of the new and
      triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom." Earlier we
      talked about "Willingness" as the Foundation, "Belief" as the
      Cornerstone and now the Keystone is allowing God to be our Director.
      A stone mason will tell you that the entire structure of a stone
      arch rests upon that Keystone. This is an element that allows the
      structure to exist without which we would have a pile of stones. An
      arch is the strongest architectural and structural element known to
      man. This underscores the importance of where God fits into our
      lives.

      Most of us our familiar with "The Promises" on page 84 and 85. What
      many of us don't realize is that there are promises throughout the
      book. Let's go to paragraph 1 on page 63. Read it through... sounds
      like promises to me – all these things will come to pass for us if
      we proceed to Step 3. "When we sincerely took such a position, all
      sorts of remarkable things followed. We had a new Employer. Being
      all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him
      and performed His work well. Established on such a footing we became
      less and less interested in ourselves, our own little plans and
      designs. More and more we became interested in seeing what we could
      contribute to life. As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed
      peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as
      we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of
      today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn." It's all great
      stuff!

      Paragraph 3 is the Third Step Prayer:

      "God, I offer myself to Thee – to build with me and to do with me as
      Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do
      Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear
      witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of
      life. May I do Thy will always!"

      Reading through this prayer we can see things about Step 3 that may
      not have been apparent before. We begin to see that we have made a
      decision and have become open to having a Power greater than
      ourselves in our lives. We are asking to be relieved of the bondage
      of self, not the bondage of alcohol. This relates to what we believe
      to be the root of our problem: "Selfishness – Self Centeredness...,"
      remember? At this stage, however, we have only made a decision. For
      that decision to become vital, we must take action.

      I "made a decision" to take a new job offered to me, but until I
      negotiate my new salary, my benefits, sign the offer letter and
      report for work it is just a decision. The actions that follow this
      decision are what make the decision vital.

      With our next post we will begin at the very bottom of page 63 and
      the beginning of a detailed discussion of Step 4 as it is detailed in
      the Big Book.

      Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim & Dave - visit:

      For a weekly chuckle visit:
      Message 90 of 90 , Jan 16
        'Morning everyone :)

        We are on page 62, Paragraph 3. Here we find out the position that God will occupy in our lives: "This is the how and the why of it. First of all, we had to quit playing God. It didn't work. Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents."As His agents we are to express His will for us. I am the managing agent for the owner of this office building. I am empowered to conduct business on behalf of the owner. It's the same way with God. God isn't the "bush league pinch hitter" we usually used Him as.

[...]

        Reading through this prayer we can see things about Step 3 that may not have been apparent before. We begin to see that we have made a decision and have become open to having a Power greater than ourselves in our lives. We are asking to be relieved of the bondage of self, not the bondage of alcohol. This relates to what we believe o be the root of our problem: "Selfishness – Self Centeredness...," remember? At this stage, however, we have only made a decision. For that decision to become vital, we must take action.

        I "made a decision" to accept a new job, until I negotiate my salary and benefits, accept the position, sign the offer letter and report for work, it is just a decision. The actions that follow this decision are what make the decision vital.