  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 86 , Jun 1 3:58 AM
      Good morning everyone!

      We're at Page 86, paragraph 2: "On awakening let us think about the
      twenty-four hours ahead...." we ask God to direct our thinking,
      especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or
      self-seeking motives." (This is one of the Step 11 prayers.) If we
      are indecisive: "Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive
      thought or a decision. (another prayer.) We relax and take it easy."
      We aren't obsessing on this, we think of something else knowing that
      the answers will come. Although we come to rely upon intuition we
      always check with others on those thoughts before putting them into
      action.

      Yet another prayer: the Big Book 11th Step Prayer, page 87,
      paragraph 1: "We usually conclude the period of meditation with a
      prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to
      be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems.
      We ask especially for freedom from self-will, and are careful to
      make no requests for ourselves only." Here we are praying for the
      knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry it out.

      What is the outcome? At the top of page 88: "We are in much less
      danger of (suffering from) excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-
      pity, or foolish decisions." Those foolish decisions caused me
      plenty of trouble!

      Now, you'll notice that Bill was getting at what meditation meant
      for him: From the point of "On awakening..." to immediately
      before "We usually conclude the period of meditation..." we are
      engaging in meditation. We are thinking about what our actions will
      be, what we will face, how we will conduct ourselves.

      I began my meditation life by quieting the endless conversation that
      I used to have with myself inside of my head, quite simply I was
      driving myself nuts! Then I started to direct my thinking to what I
      would face over the course of the day. Of course that meant that I
      had to change the way that I lived. I couldn't continue to live my
      life as if I was shot out of a cannon each morning. I received
      valuable suggestions: instead of waking up at the last possible
      second, perhaps if I got up a little earlier that may allow time for
      meditation, instead of waiting until the fuel gauge read "E" maybe I
      should fill up at 1/4 of a tank. Leaving a little earlier for work
      would help my state of mind in the morning, arriving less frazzled
      and on time. These and many other suggestions helped immensely. The
      result was it was easier to meditate in the morning and prepare for
      the day.

      Today I get up early -- around 5:00 am. I shower, get dressed, read
      my Emmet Fox daily reading (Around the Year with Emmet Fox) and
      meditate on what the day will bring with Trixie the cat on the couch
      next to me. I leave our apartment at 6:00, catch the 6:22 to Grand
      Central - meditating a bit more on the train. I arrive at my office
      at 7:00, tend to the Big Book Study and connecting with God through
      service. By the time I begin my day at the office, I have no fear
      because I always have a Partner who has all power. I put in the
      footwork and the results are up to Him. My life is no longer
      the "Chinese Fire Drill" that it once was. The 12 Steps have been
      the key.

      Exercise: Go back and re-read the text and count how many
      times "think," "thought," "brains," "intuition," or their synonyms
      appear in the text. You may be surprised to learn how much "thought"
      goes into meditation!

      In our next post we'll begin Chapter 7. Since "faith without works
      is dead," there is more action to come.

      Have a good day!

      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 3
[...]

        Today Karen gets up early -- around 4:30 am: "I take my dogs for a brisk walk in the peaceful darkness around my neighborhood, and take advantage of that time by communicating with God as I walk. When I get back home, I spend a little more time in study -- the Big Book, the Bible, or some other material of a spiritual nature. I spend time digesting the reading, seeing how it applies to my life, and quietly listening to what God wants to say to me through what I studied. Then, I spend time in prayer. I try to send a quick e-mail or two to encourage some of the newcomers online. After that, I drive to work and during that time I listen to spiritually-edifying CDs, tapes, or radio".
        [Jim] After beginning my day with prayer and meditation, by the time I begin my day at the office, I have no fear because I always have a Partner who has all power. I put in the footwork and the results are up to Him. My life is no longer the "Chinese Fire Drill" that it once was. The 12 Steps have been the key.

        Exercise: Go back and re-read the text and count how many times "think," "thought," "brains," "intuition," or their synonyms appear in the text. You may be surprised to learn how much "thought" goes into meditation!

        In our next post we'll begin Chapter 7. Since "faith without works is dead," there is more action to come.
        Have a good day!
        Jim
        Weekend Studies of "The Sermon on the Mount" by Emmet Fox with Jim - visit: