Big Book Study Post - #1

  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      Welcome everyone to the newest cycle of our Big Book Study! We'll be
      examining the book very closely throughout the coming weeks. It is
      important to note that we will examine this book from the standpoint
      of a textbook.

      I always like to note at this juncture that the title page has the
      following subtitle:

      "The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered
      from Alcoholism", yes - Recovered! Now that usually opens a seething
      couldron of debate ie: "Recovering" vs. "Recovered". The reason I
      bring this up here is it is important to note that lasting recovery
      (Recovered) is the result of what our book presents. Whether one
      calls him/herself a "recovered-" or "recovering-" alcoholic is of no
      consequence in this study. We will limit our discussion to the text.
      That debate® rages on at from time to time at:

      (That is, if you care to get involved in it).

      Turning the page to Roman Numeral v, the table of contents, let's
      see how the book was laid out. Bill was an educated and intelligent
      man. He was always taught to avoid repeating himself. However, he
      also knew that he would have to make the same point repeatedly, but
      in several different ways in order to get the point across. The
      format of our book is very much like that of a textbook in this way.

      The Doctor's Opinion and Bill's Story identify what the problem
      is: "Powerlessness", and cover Step 1. The Doctor's Opinion,
      written by Dr. Willam D. Silkworth, the doctor who treated Bill at
      Towns Hospital (293 Central Park West at 89th Street in Manhattan)
      was a part of the main text in the first edition of the book. It was
      put into the Roman Numerals in the second edition on the advice of
      literary experts of the time. (And, unfortunately, who reads those
      Roman Numerals anyway!?!) The letter he provided was unsigned at the
      time of the first edition as well. Dr. Silkworth was concerned about
      his medical standing back when the book was being written - the
      ideas were so radical at the time that he was concerned about being
      ridiculed and ostracized about his ideas on alcoholism.

      Chapters 2, 3, and 4 identify "The Solution", that we need "Power"
      and cover Step 2.

      Chapters 5, 6, and 7 identify the Necessary Actions" to find
      that "Power" and goes into the detail of Steps 3 thru 12.

      Tomorrow we will begin on Roman Numeral xi - The Preface to the Third
      edition.

      Please e-mail any questions to me at jknyc@... and please
      pass it on so that others may enjoy what you have found!

      Jim
    • Jim K.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21 4:24 AM
[...]

            With our next post we will begin on Roman Numeral xi - The Preface