  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 108 , Mar 1, 2004
      Good Morning, everyone!

      Paragraph 2 on page 60:

      "Our description of the alcoholic, [found in the Doctor's Opinion
      and Chapter 3 - More About Alcoholism] the chapter to the agnostic,
      [Chapter 4 - We Agnostics] and our personal adventures before and
      after" [Chapter 1 - Bill's Story] make clear (are designed to sell
      you) three pertinent ideas:

      (a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives. [This
      is Step 1.]

      (b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
      [This is the first half of Step 2.]

      (c) That God could and would (can and will) if He were sought. [Step
      2, second half.]"

      At this point we have completed Steps 1 and 2. Notice how we go
      directly into Step 3 here in paragraph 3: "Being convinced, we were
      at Step Three, which is that we decided [remember that our decisions
      must be followed up with action in order to make them meaningful -
      Step 4 is the action] to turn our will [our thoughts] and our lives
      [our actions] over to God as we understood Him."

      Paragraph 4 - "The first requirement is that we be convinced that
      any life run on self-will can hardly be a success." In the preceeding
      chapters we see that self-will has little effect regarding our
      drinking. Now we examine how that is true regarding our lives as a
      whole. Read through to page 62 paragraph 1:

      "Selfishness - Self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our
      troubles." This is an important point. Our troubles weren't the
      product of a poor upbringing, horrible parents, being the member of
      ____ (fill in the blank with any subset of society). We had a
      difficult time of it due to "Selfishness - Self-
      centeredness." "...we have made decisions based on self which later
      placed us in a position to be hurt." We have discovered that WE are
      usually the reason for the suffering we have had to experience. We
      were not the unwitting "victims" of life that we frequently
      portrayed ourselves to be. I was astonished when this was pointed
      out to me.

      Next paragraph - "So our troubles, we think, are basically of our
      own making. "...we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We
      must, or it kills us!" So, it isn't always booze that kills us -
      selfishness will kill us indirectly. Throughout the book we will
      discover that bottles are only a symbol, that our problem runs
      deeper than the drinking itself.

      Tomorrow we will pick up with the end of page 62 and touch upon that
      spiritual structure that we have been building.

      Message 108 of 108 , Apr 13

        Good Morning, everyone!

        Paragraph 2 on page 60 - original text in (parenthesis) and my editorial notes in [brackets]:

        "Our description of the alcoholic,[found in the Doctor's Opinion and Chapter 3 - More About Alcoholism] the chapter to the agnostic, [Chapter 4 - We Agnostics]and our personal adventures before and after"[Chapter 1 - Bill's Story] make clear (are designed to sell you) three pertinent ideas:

        (a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives. [This is Step 1.]

        (b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
        [This is the first half of Step 2.]

        (c) That God could and would (can and will) if He were sought. [Step 2, second half.]"

        "If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!"

        At this point we have completed Steps 1 and 2. Notice how we go directly into Step 3 here in paragraph 3:
        "Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided [remember that our decisions must be followed up with action in order to make them meaningful - Step 4 is the action] to turn our will [our thoughts] and our lives [our actions] over to God as we understood Him."

        Paragraph 4 -
        "The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success." In the preceding chapters we see that self-will has little effect regarding our drinking. Now we examine how that is true regarding our lives as a whole.

[...]

        With our next post we will pick up with the end of page 62 and touch upon that spiritual structure that we have been building.

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/