  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 90 , Nov 3, 2003
      Good morning everyone, and welcome back.

      We're at Paragraph 3 on page 64 - "Resentment is the number one
      offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else." Again we
      see it isn't necessarily booze that destroys us, but resentment.

      Resentment was a word that I was unfamiliar with when I came to AA.
      It comes from the Greek "Re" = again and "Senteri" = to feel. It
      means to re-feel old feelings. An example is when we run into
      someone who said something nasty to us six months ago; we seethe
      with the anger as if the statement was made to us this morning.
      Alcoholics seem to store all this stuff within and it makes for a
      disconcerting individual. Step 4 is where we begin to deal with
      these resentments by putting them down on paper. This is the first
      of several lists we will make in connection with Step 4.

      "In dealing with resentments, we set them down on paper. We listed
      people, institutions (perhaps the police or the DMV) or principles
      (10 Commandments, etc.) with whom we were angry." We begin our 4th
      Step by writing out a list of resentments. Our list will be
      comprised of 5 columns. On the left hand column we list all of those
      resentments first. We'll continue with the other four columns later
      once we have written out our first-column list. We think back over
      our lives and think about how we would feel if we ran into Mr. or
      Ms. ______. If our second grade teacher, Miss Crabtree, called us
      lazy or stupid in front of the class and we were ashamed of it and
      we begin to experience old anger when thinking of her we write her
      name down. If my lazy ass brother dropped by would I resent his
      presence? My boss, do I resent her? My ex-wife? My mother? The
      police? College professors? Drill Sargeant? The auto mechanic who
      ripped me off? My neighbor? The guy who made a pass at my wife? And
      what about God -- do I resent Him?

      Once we are done listing everyone we will begin filling out the next
      column: "The Cause." Next to each name we list what they did to
      cause me to become angry. We move from the top of the list to the
      bottom, and write out the cause for each resentment. (Page 65 is a
      great place for tips.)

      We'll go through the last three columns tomorrow.

      Message 90 of 90 , Apr 20

        Good morning everyone!

        We're at Paragraph 3 on page 64 -
        "Resentment is the number one offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else." Again we see it isn't necessarily booze that destroys us, but resentment.

        Resentment was a word that I was unfamiliar with when I came to AA. It means to re-feel old feelings. An example of resentment is when we run into someone who said something nasty to us six months ago; if we seethe with the anger as if the statement was made to us this morning, we have resentment.

        Alcoholics seem to store all this stuff within and it makes for a disconcerting individual. Step 4 is where we begin to deal with these resentments by putting them down on paper. This is the first of four lists we will make in connection with Step 4.

        "In dealing with resentments, we set them down on paper. We listed people, institutions (perhaps the police or the DMV) or principles (10 Commandments, etc.) with whom we were angry."

        We begin our 4th Step by writing out a list of resentments. Our list will be comprised of 5 columns. On the left hand column we list all of those resentments first. We'll continue with the other four columns later once we have written out our first-column list. We think back over our lives and think about how we would feel if we ran into Mr. or Ms. ______. If our second grade teacher, Miss Crabtree, called us lazy or stupid in front of the class and we were ashamed of it and we begin to experience old anger when thinking of her we write her name down. If my lazy ass brother dropped by would
        I resent his presence? My boss, do I resent her? My ex-wife? My mother? The police? College professors? Drill Sergeant? The auto mechanic who ripped me off? My neighbor? The guy who made a pass at my wife? And what about God -- do I resent Him?

        Once we are done listing everyone we will begin filling out the next column: "
        The Cause." Next to each name we list what they did to cause me to become angry. We move from the top of the list to the bottom, and write out the cause for each resentment. (Page 65 is a great place for tips.)

        We'll go through the last three columns in our next post.

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/