  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 82 , Oct 1, 2003
      Good Morning!

      Chapter 11 - "A Vision for You" begins on page 151.

      If you have been following along with the study from the beginning
      you are aware of the writing style of Bill Wilson. Much like him,
      however, I'll recount it for those of us who have recently joined
      us.

      There are several aspects of Bill's writing style which are pretty
      consistent throughout the book. First, Bill will make the same point
      in several different ways. Second, he tries not to repeat the same
      words over and over. Third, he sums up at the end of each chapter.
      It is the third point that is pertinent for our discussion of
      Chapter 11. This is the final chapter in the main text of the book.
      We will see how he will "sum up" or recap what has been covered
      earlier.

      The first three pages cover the introduction and the earlier parts
      of the book and discloses to the reader what he may find. At the
      bottom of page 153 and through page 164 Bill recounts the beginnings
      of AA and a very general outline of AA's brief history is given.
      Bill doesn't identify the places or people who were instrumental in
      the beginning although all of the essentials are there: Towns
      Hospital, Dr. Silkworth, The Mayflower Hotel, Akron Ohio, Dr. Bob,
      Bill Dotson, Cleveland, New York, etc.

      Tomorrow we will look at some of the high points of the history and
      look closely at page 164. Then we'll finish up with Dr. Bob's
      Nightmare on Friday.

      The Study will begin again on Monday, October 6th.

      Message 82 of 82 , Feb 13
        Good Morning,
        Chapter 11 - "A Vision for You" begins on page 151.
        If you have been following along with the study from the beginning, you have learned much about Bill Wilson's writing style. Let's recount what we've learned for those who have recently joined us.
        There are several aspects of Bill's writing style which are pretty consistent throughout the book.First, Bill will make the same point in several different ways.Second, he tries not to repeat the same words over and over.Third, he sums up at the end of each chapter.
        It is the third point that is pertinent for our discussion of Chapter 11. This is the final chapter in the main text of the book. We will see how he will "sum up" or recap what has been covered earlier.
        The first three pages cover the introduction and the earlier parts of the book, disclosing to the reader what he may find. At the bottom of page 153 and through page 164, Bill recounts the beginnings of AA and gives a very general outline of AA's brief history. Bill doesn't identify the places or people who were instrumental in the beginning, although all of the essentials are there: Towns Hospital, Dr. Silkworth, The Mayflower Hotel, Akron Ohio, Dr. Bob, Bill Dotson (AA #3), Cleveland, New York, etc.
        With our next post we will look at some of the high points of the history and look closely at page 164. Then we'll finish up with Dr. Bob's Nightmare.