  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 88 , Jul 1, 2003
      Good morning all!

      ***Here's a good exercise for Chapter 4. Read through and count how
      many times the word "prejudice" in it's various forms appears. Also
      count synonyms such as "preconceived ideas" etc. You'll be surprised
      to see how often we are asked to lay aside prejudice against
      spiritual concepts in this chapter.***

      We are at page 46 - The first full paragraph here speaks of
      openmindedness: "Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these
      thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We
      found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and
      express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than
      ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was
      impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power,
      which is God."

      Reading through to the top of page 47 we see the important idea
      expressed again - "When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean
      your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual
      expressions which you find in this book. Do not let any prejudice
      you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking
      yourself what they mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed
      to commence spiritual growth to effect our first conscious relation
      with God as we understood Him. Afterward, we found ourselves
      accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach. That
      was growth, but if we wished to grow we had to begin somewhere. So
      we used our own conception, however limited it was."

      Skipping down to paragraph 2 we find another reference to the
      spiritual structure we are building: "It has been repeatedly proven
      among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective
      spiritual structure can be built."

      The cornerstone is belief, and on page 12 we found that "complete
      willingness" was our foundation. All that is important will rest on
      the foundation and the entire structure is squared up from this
      cornerstone. More elements of this spiritual structure will be
      revealed throughout the text.

      In the following paragraph we see that belief comes before
      faith: "That was great news to us, for we had assumed we could not
      make use of spiritual principles unless we accepted many things on
      faith (indicating knowledge) which seemed difficult to believe." So
      we begin with a belief and it is through the knowledge that
      supports this belief that we begin to have faith.

      More to come on tomorrow!

      Message 88 of 88 , Jan 9
         Good morning!

[...]

        In paragraph 2, we find another reference to the spiritual structure we are building:
        "It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built."

        The "cornerstone" is belief, and on page 12 we found that "complete willingness" is our foundation. All that is important will rest on the foundation and the entire structure is squared up from this cornerstone. More elements of this spiritual structure will be revealed throughout the text.