  • Jim K.
    Message 1 of 86 , Apr 1 8:16 AM
      Welcome back everyone-

      Sorry for the late post - dizzy with nausea this morning so I'm not
      at work and my laptop is mighty slow-

      We're at Page 86, paragraph 2 - "On awakening let's think about the
      twenty-four hours ahead". "...we ask God to direct our thinking,
      especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or
      self-seeking motives." (One of the Step 11 prayers). If we are
      indecisive: "Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or
      a decision. (Another prayer). We relax and take it easy." We aren't
      obsessing on this, we think of something else knowing that the
      answers will come. Although we come to rely upon intuition we always
      check with others on those thoughts before putting them into action.

      Yet another prayer: the Big Book 11th Step Prayer, page 87, paragraph
      1 - "We usually conclude the period of meditation with a prayer that
      we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we
      be given whatever we need to take care of such problems. We ask
      especially for freedom from self-will, and are careful to make no
      requests for ourselves only." Here we are praying for the knowledge
      of His will for us and the power to carry it out.

      What is the outcome? At the top of page 88: "We are in much less
      danger of (suffering from) excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity,
      or foolish decisions." Those foolish decisions caused me plenty of
      trouble!

      Now, you'll notice that Bill was getting at what meditation meant for
      him: From the point of "On awakening..." to immediately before "We
      usually conclude the period of meditation..." we are engaging in
      meditation. We are thinking about what our actions will be, what we
      will face, how we will conduct ourselves. I began my meditation life
      by quieting the endless conversation that I used to have with myself
      inside of my head, quite simply I was driving myself nuts! Then I
      started to direct my thinking to what I would face over the course of
      the day. Of course that meant that I had to change the way that I
      lived. I couldn't continue to live my life as if I was shot out of a
      cannon each morning. I received valuable suggestions: instead of
      waking up at the last possible second, perhaps if I got up a little
      earlier that may allow time for meditation, instead of waiting until
      the fuel gauge read "E" maybe I should fill up at 1/4 of a tank.
      Leaving a little earlier for work would help my state of mind in the
      morning, arriving less frazzled and on time. These and many other
      suggestions helped immensely. The result was it was easier to
      meditate in the morning and prepare for the day.

      Today I get up early (which allows me time to post this study) and
      meditate. I read my daily reading. I spend time digesting the reading
      and seeing how it applies to my life. Throughout my day, I have no
      fear because I always have a Partner who has all power. I put in the
      footwork and the results are up to Him. My life is no longer the
      "Chinese Fire Drill" that it once was. The 12 Steps have been the key.

      Exercise: Go back and re-read the text and count how many times
      "think", "thought", "brains", "intuition", or their synonyms appear
      in the text. You may be surprised to learn how much "thought" goes
      into meditation!

      Tomorrow we'll begin Chapter 7 for faith without works is dead -
      There is more action to come.

      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 3
        Good morning everyone!
        We're at Page 86, paragraph 2: "On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. ... we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives." (This is one of the Step 11 prayers.) If we are indecisive: "Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. (another prayer.) We relax and take it easy." We aren't obsessing on this, we think of something else knowing that the answers will come. Although we come to rely upon intuition we always check with others on those thoughts before putting them into action.

[...]

        Today Karen gets up early -- around 4:30 am: "I take my dogs for a brisk walk in the peaceful darkness around my neighborhood, and take advantage of that time by communicating with God as I walk. When I get back home, I spend a little more time in study -- the Big Book, the Bible, or some other material of a spiritual nature. I spend time digesting the reading, seeing how it applies to my life, and quietly listening to what God wants to say to me through what I studied. Then, I spend time in prayer. I try to send a quick e-mail or two to encourage some of the newcomers online. After that, I drive to work and during that time I listen to spiritually-edifying CDs, tapes, or radio".
        [Jim] After beginning my day with prayer and meditation, by the time I begin my day at the office, I have no fear because I always have a Partner who has all power. I put in the footwork and the results are up to Him. My life is no longer the "Chinese Fire Drill" that it once was. The 12 Steps have been the key.

        Exercise: Go back and re-read the text and count how many times "think," "thought," "brains," "intuition," or their synonyms appear in the text. You may be surprised to learn how much "thought" goes into meditation!

        In our next post we'll begin Chapter 7. Since "faith without works is dead," there is more action to come.
        Have a good day!
        Jim
        Weekend Studies of "The Sermon on the Mount" by Emmet Fox with Jim - visit: