  • Honey_dot_com
    Message 1 of 105 , Dec 2, 2002
      Good Morning everyone, and welcome back! It looks like Jim hasn't
      quite returned from his Thanksgiving weekend yet, so I'll post the
      study this morning.

      Although it seems like we're running through the Steps keep in mind
      that in this chapter alone we cover steps 5 through 10 - a mere 16
      pages for 6 steps. (And you wondered why this chapter is called "Into
      Action"?) This should not stop us, if someone feels a need, to
      continue a discussion on a particular step using a different subject
      heading such as "Step 9" or something to that effect.

      We are at page 84, paragraph 2 and the beginning of Step 10. "This
      thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take
      personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we
      go along." So, in Step 10, we continue the process of
      housecleaning/amends that we have embarked on in the Step 4 through 9
      process. "We have entered the world of the Spirit." We have had a
      spiritual awakening or experience.

      "Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness."
      This is the first of the continuing growth steps. In the past Steps
      10, 11 and 12 have been called "Maintenance Steps." Although
      maintenance is part of the idea, we really need continued growth
      through Steps 10 - 12. "It should continue for our lifetime."

      A daily 10th Step, an integral part of our lives - that's the
      idea. "Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and
      fear." Sounds like a 4th Step doesn't it? "When these crop up we ask
      God at once to remove them." Sounds like what we have done in Steps 6
      and 7. "We discuss them with someone immediately (Step 5, right?)
      and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone." That sounds like
      our actions in Steps 8 and 9 to me. What is our code? "Love and
      tolerance is our code."

      In this short paragraph outlining the 10th Step we have touched upon
      Steps 4 through 9. We are continuing the process on a daily basis
      that we began when we did Steps 4 through 9. If we are thorough in
      our 10th Step there is likely to be no need to repeat any of Steps 4
      through 9.

      Another group of promises, the Step Ten Promises, appears at the
      bottom of Page 84 - last paragraph - "And we have ceased fighting
      anything or anyone- even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have
      returned." Can we hide behind "insanity" any longer? Still "Sick"?
      Are we "crazy"? No, not in respect to alcohol. We have been restored
      to sanity and are no longer the victim of the mental obsession that
      dooms us to drink. That is a wholesale miracle to me! "If tempted, we
      recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and
      we will find that this has happened automatically." "We are not
      fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. Instead, the
      problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. This is how we
      react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition." It sounds to me
      that we shouldn't be fighting booze if we have gone through this
      process. Are we still white knuckling it? If so, perhaps, we haven't
      practiced the program as presented. Are we thinking about a drink
      frequently? Are we tempted to drink? We must go back and review what
      we have done, there is a flaw somewhere. Have we been entirely
      honest? "Have we tried to make mortar without sand?" "Have we held on
      to some of the worst items in stock?"

      Some of the greatest miracles of sobriety are made possible through
      the practice and application of the 12 Step process in our lives. It
      is these miracles that separates Alcoholics Anonymous from everything
      else out there. These miracles are possible for each and every one of
      us. But these same miracles are only possible by following the
      program as presented in the Big Book. Once we decide to "work our own
      program" we cannot expect the benefits of this message.

      Tomorrow we'll continue our discussion on Step 10 on page 85,
      paragraph 1.

      Love,
      Honey
      Message 105 of 105 , Nov 14 4:54 AM

        Good Morning Everyone!

        Although it seems like we're running through the Steps, keep in mind that in this chapter alone we cover steps 5 through 11 -- a mere 16 pages for 7 steps. No wonder this chapter is called Into Action!

[...]

        Step Ten Promises, appears at the bottom of Page 84 - last paragraph: "And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone- even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned." Can we hide behind "insanity" any longer? Still "sick"? Are we "crazy"? No, not in respect to alcohol. We have been restored to sanity and are no longer the victim of the mental obsession that dooms us to drink. That is a miracle to me! "If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. ... We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. ... Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. ... This is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition." It sounds to me that we shouldn't be fighting booze if we have gone through this process. Are we white knuckling it? Then, perhaps, we haven't practiced the program as presented. Are we thinking about a drink frequently? Are we tempted to drink? We must go back and review what we have done; there is a flaw somewhere. Have we been entirely honest? "Have we tried to make mortar without sand? ... Have we held on to some of the worst items in stock?"

        Some of the greatest miracles of sobriety are made possible through the practice and application of the 12 Step process in our lives. It is these miracles that separates Alcoholics Anonymous from everything else out there. These miracles are possible for each and every one of us. But these same miracles are only possible by following the program as presented in the Big Book. Once we decide to "work our own program" we cannot expect the benefits of this message.

        With our next post we'll continue our discussion on Step 10 on page 85, paragraph 1.

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/