  • sottovoice
    Message 1 of 91 , Aug 1, 2002
      Good Morning all!

      Page 76 - Let's look at the first paragraph - Believe it or not there
      is a prayer for the 6th Step too: "Can He now take them all - every
      one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to
      help us be willing." We pray for willingness in Step 6. Much like the
      process in Step 3 we are really making a decision to become willing
      to have God remove these defects/shortcomings. And, much like Step 3
      there is a definite action associated with the decision. We employ
      right action to fulfill our decision, we do the opposite of our
      defects, we act our way into good thinking.

      Step 7 - "My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of
      me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single
      defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you
      and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your
      bidding. Amen." Our 7th Step Prayer. We have noticed that "defects"
      appear instead of "shortcomings" in the prayer. Bill, who prefered
      not to repeated himself, used a synynom: defects of character =
      shortcomings = wrongs.

      There is more work to do to clear the channel between us and our
      Higher Power. "Faith without works is dead". How are we to do this
      work, also known as God's will, if we are still a prisoner to the
      past? How do we walk out from here and attempt to do His will if we
      aren't able to look everyone in the eye? Two tremendously vital steps
      that enable us to live happy, joyous and free are all about amends.
      Still on page 76, let's look at paragraph 3: "We have a list of
      persons we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends. We
      made it when we took inventory" [during the step 4 and 5 process].
      Here is where the term "amend" is defined: "Now we go out to our
      fellows and repair the damage done in the past." "...repair the
      damage", not apologized - we are attempting to right a serious wrong.
      Remember, also, this step has it's roots in the Oxford Group concept
      of "Restitution". Restitution is a synonym of amend. Through it we
      accept responsibility for our part and we make it right. "I'm really
      sorry" isn't what we are looking for here.

      The prayer for Step 8 - "If we haven't the will to do this, we ask
      until it comes". I needed to ask God for the will to face all these
      people and without His help it was too much for me. I brought my list
      to my sponsor to review and determine my best course of action to
      achieve these amends. Today I am grateful for having done so for I
      received many helpful suggestions. He emphasized that I was there to
      clear my side of the street, that the wrongs of the other party were
      not the focus of the discussion.

      Tomorrow we'll discuss Step 9 in depth. We'll begin at the bottom of
      page 76.

      Message 91 of 91 , Feb 23

        Good Morning Everyone!

        Page 76 - Let's look at the first paragraph - believe it or not there is a prayer for the 6th Step too: "Can He now take them all - every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing."

        We pray for willingness in Step 6. Much like the process in Step 3, we are really making a decision to become willing to have God remove these defects/shortcomings. And, much like Step 3, there is a definite action associated with the decision. We employ right action to fulfill our decision, we do the opposite of our defects, we act our way into good thinking.

        Step 7 -
        "My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen." Our 7th Step Prayer. We have noticed that "defects" appear instead of "shortcomings" in the prayer. Bill, who preferred not to repeat himself, used a synonym: defects of character = shortcomings = wrongs.

        There is more work to do to clear the channel between our Higher Power and us.
        "Faith without works is dead." How are we to do this work, also known as God's will, if we are still a prisoner to the past? How do we walk out from here and attempt to do His will if we aren't able to look everyone in the eye? Two tremendously vital steps that enable us to live happy, joyous and free are all about amends.

        Still on page 76, let's look at paragraph 3: "We have a list of persons we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends. We made it when we took inventory" [during the step 4 and 5 process]. Here is where the term "amends" is defined: "Now we go out to our fellows and repair the damage done in the past." Not apologize - we are attempting to right a serious wrong. Remember, also, this step has its roots in the Oxford Group concept of "Restitution". Restitution is a synonym of amends. Through it we accept responsibility for our part and we make it right. "I'm really sorry" isn't what we are looking for here.

        The prayer for Step 8 -
        "If we haven't the will to do this, we ask until it comes." I needed to ask God for the will to face all these people and without His help it was too much for me. I brought my list to my sponsor to review and determine my best course of action to achieve these amends. Today I am grateful for having done so for I received many helpful suggestions. He emphasized that I was there to clear my side of the street, that the wrongs of the other party were not the focus of the discussion.

        In our next post, we'll discuss Step 9 in depth. We'll begin at the bottom of page 76.

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/