  • sottovoice
    Message 1 of 95 , May 1, 2002
      Good morning everyone!

      Turning to page Roman Numeral xi, the preface to the Third Edition,
      and looking at paragraph #2 this book is identified as "the basic
      text for our Society". A basic text is a book which can convey
      knowledge, or as discussed earlier - a text book.

      Go to page xiii - the Foreword to the First Edition. The first
      paragraph is where we want to draw our attention. Bill realized that
      there is the strength in the collective voice, hence "...are more
      than one hundred men and women who have recovered (there it is
      again!)...". The fact of the matter is that you are more likely to
      listen to one hundred than to just a single voice.

      "To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main
      purpose of this book". A powerful statement! (It is interesting to
      note the capitalized words in the sentance above were capitalized in
      the first edition of the book. Subsequent editions italicized these
      words. I'll have to use caps instead of italics when adding emphasis
      where the book does) It is here that I usually talk about the recipe
      for my Aunt Pat's strawberry short cake, which I love. I look forward
      to it everytime I see her out in western New Jersey. After years of
      visits I finally ask her for the recipe which she gladly gives to me.
      I go home, follow the directions to the letter and viola! the
      strawberry shortcake I have always loved. Then my alcoholic self gets
      involved and I think a little more sugar in the whipped cream would
      improve it. Maybe frozen strawberries, or Cool Whip® instead of real
      whipped cream. I make the cake using my version and it isn't as good,
      in fact I am disappointed. The Big Book shows us the specific recipe
      for sobriety and, if we follow it carefully, we will get all the
      benefits of the program. If we change the recipe we will get
      something else and we may be greatly disappointed.

      Next we will go to page xv - the Foreword to the Second Edition.

      We'll hit it hard again tomorrow. Keep up the dialogue! Thanks again
      and don't forget to pass it on!

      Message 95 of 95 , Feb 20 5:14 AM
        Good morning everyone!

        Let's turn to page xi, the Preface to the Third Edition, and look at paragraph #2. This book is identified as "the basic text for our Society."A basic text is a book which can convey knowledge – in other words, a text book.

        Turn topage xiii, the Foreword to the First Edition. The first paragraph is where we want to draw our attention. Bill realized that there is strength in the collective voice. Hence, "... are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered…."
        (There's that word "recovered"again!) The fact of the matter is that we are more likely to listen to one hundred than to just a single voice.

        "To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book." A powerful statement! Note that the capitalized words in the sentence above were capitalized in the first edition of the book. Subsequent editions italicized these words.
        This is where I usually share my story about my Aunt Pat's strawberry shortcake (She passed on to the next dimension on January 9, 2012 but lives on here):
        "My Aunt Pat makes a wonderful strawberry shortcake. I look forward to it every time I see her out in Newton, New Jersey. After years of visits I finally asked her for the recipe which she gladly gives to me. I went home, followed the directions as they were written and viola! the strawberry shortcake I have always loved!
        "Then my ego gets involved. I think a little more sugar in the whipped cream would improve it. Maybe frozen strawberries. Or let's use Cool Whip instead of real whipped cream. I make the cake using my version and it isn't as good, in fact I am disappointed."
        The Big Book shows us a specific recipe for sobriety and, if we follow it carefully, we will get all the benefits of The AA Program. If we change the recipe we will get something else and we will be greatly disappointed.

        With our next post we will go to page xv -the Foreword to the Second Edition. Thanks again, and don't forget to pass it on!
        Weekend Studies of "The Sermon on the Mount" by Emmet Fox with Jim - visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sermon-on-the-Mount
        Friend me on Facebook - Search for "Sotto Voice"